John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run a 12" LED bar, two HID can spot lights and 4 HID headlights. My previous battery (a JD "Strongbox") couldn't keep up. I replaced it with an Odyssey 925 a month ago and have been really impressed! It fits readily in the battery box and with 2 longer bolts, bolts right down with the factory retainer. Just FYI.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Nice, thank you for the update. If you don't mind, how much did the battery at you back?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Off-Road Forums mobile app

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roughly $150 bucks from Amazon Prime (free shipping). Also had to buy some terminal adapters. It may seem a little pricey, but my original battery went south and I replaced it with my "dealer" recommended "JD Strongbox", a non sealed lead/acid battery. A total POS!! My parts man at the dealership said that the "Strongbox" was the recommended replacement. DON'T do it!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have to keep a 1.5 amp trickle charger on mine when it's parked. It dies in about 4 days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Off-Road Forums mobile app

·
Registered
153 Posts
Did you have that problem before the stereo install?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mine did the same thing, I had the amp wired to a fuse that would only be hot while the Gator was running. But even still it drained the battery, so I placed a cut off switch on the amp itself and haven't had any trouble.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Everything was fine until I installed the light bars and winch. The winch has a ghost. I think the contactor is screwed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Off-Road Forums mobile app

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have been having an issue with my RSX that I bought a week or so ago(USED)...Drove to my place a couple nights ago and a storm moved through during the night...Had NO trouble when pulling up to my place that I can remember... Was wondering if anyone would have some suggestions of what could be the problem... The machine seems to "slip" and not want to pull correctly...Takes almost 2000 rpm to get it to budge and wont climb...Anyone else have this issue and what could it be??? It is a 2012 RSX 850i Trail edition with less than 1000 miles... THanks and have a great evening...:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sounds like a belt problem. I'd strip it down to check, I'd be willing to bet you'll find bits of rubber in your clutch housing. Previous owner Probably smoked the belt. I did it to mine a few weeks ago while pulling out a ranger, it makes a slapping sound from under the seat and it's real jerky when giving it some throttle. Belts are like 50 bucks from Deere. While you have it all stripped however you might as well make a call to EPI and do some clutch adjustment. Still may be your radio Batman, mine didn't start draining the battery until a few months after I put it on.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did a 10 mile night ride tonight. Ran completely lit up most of the way (I was the front man in the column cause I have the lights). Never had dash light come on like on the previous battery. Very impressed so far. I have about 5000 miles on my RSX and never before have I been able to do that! Will update if the battery has any long term issues.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The problem is really the alternator just cannot replace the current being consumed. You can add battery capacity but you really need to be sure to get a trickle charger to recharge once you finish the ride to get the battery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts