John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I wasn't happy with the half windshield that I bought with my RSX. Its great in the summer (I actually cut 5" off it to make it shorter), but with the temps getting close to freezing here, it was getting a little cold on the face!
So the choices....
JD's 'no scratch' windshield = I don't believe it won't scratch and I wasn't going to risk $500 to test it!
JD's glass windshield with wiper = Too much coin for something that looks like it came off a piece of logging equipment!

So I decided to build my own. Now saying that, I figured I may have to use a rubber insert to hold the glass in, but at least it would not cost $700+

I headed over to a buddys aluminum fab shop and we fabbed up a 1/8" aluminum frame, then headed down to the local glass shop and he suggested that we 'glue' the glass on with urethane similar to how automotive windshields are installed.

So we used 6 mm laminated safety glass with a slight tint and they painted the inside of the glass to hide the urethane. I am pretty happy with the result! Took it out yesterday and the cab is nice and warm now, we hit lots of branches on the trail, no scratches or cracks. Did some rock crawling and lots of twisting and no problems

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Looks good what did it cost u total?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My aluminum fab buddy needed some glass for his sundeck. So he made me the frame in trade for a piece of glass.
The glass guy charged me $200, from which I think the extra piece of glass was about $50.

Now, in fairness, fab guy spent three hours making this one @ about $75/hr.
End result, it cost me $200

·
Registered
904 Posts
Nice and not a bad price!!!!!!!!!

Whose snorkel kit is that? Homemade or kit?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Huge

What do you have for a rear window?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Huge

What do you have for a rear window?
I have a small upholstery shop at home doing marine stuff. The goal was to eliminate some noise and the dust issue. The rear panel is now one piece, but consists of the lower half: 1/2" foam sandwiched between boat topping material, and the upper half is made of Phifertex, which is a heavy duty mesh. It works pretty good. I would say it cut down the dust by about 50-60%. My next plan is to seal up the bottom of the doors, as quite a bit of dust comes in through the gaps

·
Registered
114 Posts
You taking orders???

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You taking orders???
I thought about it, but it took a fair amount of time to make it. Plus the materials are kinda pricey. I don't think anyone would want to pay what it really costs! Thanks for the compliments though :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts