John Deere Gator Forums banner

New Gator 550

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  vanderrt 
#1 ·
I purchased a new Gator 550 and it now has 5.2 hours on the meter and has been into the dealer for the second time today, it will not shift from forward to reverse or neutral has anyone had this problem, frustrated and tired of walking in from the woods

#2 · (Edited)
I had this problem the last time I took out my 550 S4 but wife a took it out a day later with no problems. I'm not sure what's going on. There is a recall on some of the 550s you might check that out. I was told by Gulf Tractor Corpus Christi that they have had a few come back with stuck shift levers and they said that a washer fixed the problem. I live on the beach so I was told I needed to be sure I kept the shift cables lubed. I also was able to get the sift lever to move by moving backwards a slight amount and it popped out of reverse and on into FWD. I think what happened in my case I let someone drive it and they tried to shift it from reverse to forward while it was still moving. I hope this helps.

#3 · (Edited)
Found this on this on the John Deere Site under forums.

The difficulty shifting is well known. It's a problem with the drive clutch
sticking and not fully releasing. JD has a revised clutch to help address
the problem. I mentioned it to my dealer and they had me bring it in. A
couple days later I had my Gator back with a new drive/primary clutch for no
charge.
I've had the secondary clutch replaced and it seems to be working fine but I notified my dealer about this. After talking with my dealer he informed that he knew about this and has already replaced the drive/primary clutch when it was in the shop.. I'll let you know how it works out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.