John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a Gator HPX Diesel 4x4. I've been having a long standing problem starting this Gator. Thought it might be a weak battery but even after charging it it doesn't completely solve the issue. Basically it sometimes starts right up but often I get a wheezing or blowing sound instead of the starter cranking. Sometimes it will crank but not catch enough to start and then get that wheezing sound again. Usually after several tries and turning the ignition switch on and off again and on it will start. Problem has been getting slightly worse. Again, it is possible I have a too sulfated battery but it tests OK with my smart charger and also my load tester. Want to rule out a starter or solenoid issue before I order a new battery as I heard these can be draining the charge. Any ideas on tests I can run?

·
Registered
813 Posts
First thing I would do is clean and check all connections especially the grounds. So anywhere there is a big cable check both ends. Where they connect to the battery, to the solenoid and to the starter.

Next I would try a different battery or hook up some jumper cables to your Gator battery. If it cranks good then I'd start looking more closely at the battery.

Then after starting the Gator I'd put a volt meter on the battery and make sure it's being charged. If you see 14 volts good. If it's hovering around 12 you have a problem.

If you suspect something is draining the battery while it sits I would pull one of the battery connections, when the machine is off, and put a meter in line to see if anything is drawing current. Then if all that checks out OK I'd start worrying about the starter or solenoid going bad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts