John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jim here with 2005 HPX. My front right inboard axle end is ground down. Must be the reason my front drive is out. I need a replacement and see there are quite a few non oem axles out there. The ones I see have boots on both ends and doesn't look like they use a u joint on the inboard end. Any ideas what I should get? Thanks in advance! Jim 1602642021395.png 1602642222100.png

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Perhaps they use a CV joint vs U-joint. It would be best to contact the supplier directly to ensure it fits your particular gator.

Are you replacing the mating parts that made contact with the worn shaft? Might be a good idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply 200! I've seen a replacement that is the right length and the proper amount of splines 27 outer 24 inner. Sounds like the correct one..I had to fish out the circlip from within the differential, it was in two pieces. I can't figure out how the clip goes on the inner axle end before you push it in and it locks it in?? I figured the gear inside must be more hardened then the axle splines. I can put the old end in and it spins freely but I knew it would. I think I might just put it in a see if it catches ok before I start opening up the case. At 63 I'm finally learning some basic mechanics. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Glad it all worked out for your and thumbs up for supplying the pictures as they may help someone down the road.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Just a thought...

Since there was a fair amount of metal ending up in the differential, it might be worth running for a very short period of time and flushing the oil out. It might help keep any remnants from causing damage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts