John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 825I/S4 got its complete new engine and was returned back to my farm yesterday, After two full weeks of owning this brand new machine I finally got to put it to work today.. The turning radius is very wide and there were several squeaks that had to be located and oiled or tightened or both and a right front brake that drags just a little.. The machine is very heavy as expected compared to my last two seather 825I, the ride is much stiffer and the seat way less comfortable.I guess on the upside it survived day one and it went every place i took it and the second employee had a seat to ride on rather then a five gallon bucket in the bed like he did on the older 825I..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Day two, it don't always start easy, I cranked it a couple times today like a diesel tractor at ten degrees in winter... This new hold back thing aint just great either, I had it wined the engine about out descending a long step hill today and yes i was braking like my life depended on it. Once again I say this machine is very heavy and it shows at all times..

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
thanks for keeping the update and no more problems with the motor huh?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Other then at times it tends to start hard the new motor is fine... There is strange vibration under the front floor board as the speed reaches 30+MPH.. My guess is its coming from that super long drive shaft.. Id guess U-Joint troubles in the future perhaps..

I realize it sounds as if I'm the most unsatisfied customer there ever was, however this is my fourth brand new Gator over a long number of years and I came to expect certain things and this machine is so disappointing compared to the previous ones..

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i dont think so i agree if u buy something and it performs perfect and it works wwith everyone but the on eu have now id be ticked too. i am finally taking a huge step soon from Honda to Deere so only time will tell. i am very use to Honda reliability so i will just ahve to see how much i truly like the RSX

·
Registered
250 Posts
As a Deere dealer employee I will be careful not to bash Mother Deere! I will say, that they should have stuck with what works! gators were always about function, reliability. They were about gettin' er done. Now off into the sport market. The 825i when it first came out was a cluster nugget. The 850i was even worse. The xuv 550... I wont go there. Give the farmer/construction worker/landscaper/whoever, a good old TS,TX, 6X4, HPX and its all good. Leave the jumping sand dunes at 60 mph to someone else. Deere was founded on what works, works everytime and continue to work for a long time. Thats why the US Army picked the M-Gator. I have seen the old 6x4's come back from the sand box torn all to heck.. and still tickin. Over heated so bad that the oil fill cap in the valve cover was melted. Still running, not even a blown head gasket. Old Mr Deere didnt invent his plow for yuppie gardening.. It was made for work!

RANT OVER! Carry on!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have 2013 825i S4. Nothing but problems. It averages going to the shop every 10 hrs (it has 64 hrs on it). Currently in the shop right now I'm trying to get JD to buy it back. Told my dealer it's mainly a trail ride machine for me and the family. And would possibly be interested in an RSX, his response was " those are the three worst letters I could of said and there shop has bought back two of them so far". Looks like the Gator is not the machine for me. Seems like they are not set up for trails like my salesman promised. Just my 2 cents rant over.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems the machine sprung a front differential oil leak this afternoon, and the saga continues.

I farm full time, beef cattle and was simply checking fence, wasn't even loaded and on pretty good ground and only in two wheel drive to boot, parked er for lunch and came back to a puddle of oil under the front end.

·
Registered
709 Posts
JAG, i have an RSX. I have put about 50 hours/1100 Miles on it and it has been thru mud, trails, climbing over large rocks, sand dunes, etc, and i have had REALLY good luck with mine.

I had to take it in once to replace an oil line, because mud and rocks got worked up under the skid plate and rubbed tiny hole in the oil line. Otherwise it's been a good machine. There are 100's possibly in the low 1000's of those machines out there in the field, and i dont think everyone is having problems.

I do agree that John Deere might have not done enough field testing with those, but i think they are a pretty good machine for John Deere starting into the Sport Market.

As for the 825i S4, we have only sold one. Where they are a neat idea, they are too much like a Log Wagon and so much heavier. I am not sure if they changed the transmission in those to make them deal with the more weight, but i cant say im a huge fan of them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
DS 101 Thanks for the input. I really like the JD staff. Probably the best customer service I have ever had that's why I wanted to stick with there machine. Just Don't want another $15,000 nightmare.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I bought the 550 s4 I've had my problems with it that's true emergy brake failing and 3 times in the shop for shifting problems. Everything is working fine right now (fingers crossed) and I love it. I looked at the 825i s4 but when I read the specs 1908lbs and a 30+ ft turning radius it kinda scared me. The base price of $14599.00 for the 825i s4 which is nearly $4000.00 more than I paid for mine with extras. It looks as if the 825i s4 has as many or more problems than 550 s4. Anyway I cruise the beaches in comfort. Though I've cursed at it alot, when it is working properly, it is fun!! Right now it's working great.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I cant think of a person that has an utmost desire for a $15000 nightmare,m But for now it seems I'm having one.. As for the extra weight ,very true it weighs close a ton and it is felt all the time.. The dealer has been called and the service pickup man is headed this way once again..

I wish to Thank each and everyone of You folks who have commented on my several posts concerning this machine, Your posts have been helpful and in the end I find some comfort in the fact that I'm not the lone ranger here..

Picked up and on its way back to the dealership, Right side front drive shaft is simply rattling in the diff housing. New baring & new seal and just ,maybe a new case.... I got a much better look under there when they put it up on the trailer.I made it to a whole 92 miles this week... That's gaining off the first day of a half mile when the motor went.. The dealership brought back my old faithful 825I two seater as a loner It has over a 1000 hours and right at 7000 miles and was in the shop twice in its life, both times due to a front end 4x4 sticking,which turned out to be just the switch shorted out. on the first trip they thought it was in the diff but couldn't find anything so they returned it and i rediscovered the same problem a day latter,it was fixed right the second trip in and i also had new tires put on it... I use these machines daily and have for years...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts