John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a new 2021 xuv560 for a family Christmas present. It’s my first gator but it looks like any other v-twin Briggs and Stratton engine out there. JD specs a 10w30 turf oil that I’m sure is a conventional oil selling at a synthetic price. I’ve read the manual and see where a sae 30 is ok to use also. I use 30 wt in all of my lawn equipment and always have. I have a 5 gallon bucket of the synthetic oil I already use. I have no problem using the factory stuff but wanted opinions on whether there is any benefit to using the Deere stuff like oils and filters.

·
Super Moderator
3,428 Posts
I ordered a new 2021 xuv560 for a family Christmas present. It’s my first gator but it looks like any other v-twin Briggs and Stratton engine out there. JD specs a 10w30 turf oil that I’m sure is a conventional oil selling at a synthetic price. I’ve read the manual and see where a sae 30 is ok to use also. I use 30 wt in all of my lawn equipment and always have. I have a 5 gallon bucket of the synthetic oil I already use. I have no problem using the factory stuff but wanted opinions on whether there is any benefit to using the Deere stuff like oils and filters.
I personally would use OEM oil and filters through the warranty period.

Reactions: Dave Jr

·
Registered
66 Posts
As Bradhill says, use whatever the OEM recommends during the warranty period. If the manual oks 30 weight, I would go with it. As for filters, I don't believe the manufacturer can require using his brand.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I do the break in with the mfr recommended oil for the weather oil plus one more afterward. I never put synthetic in a new engine. Then I go to 100% synthetic. For me its Mobile1 cause I can get it for a pretty good price. On everything except for the pickup, anyway. As for the pickup, when I go to the dealer I can get the oil change, tire rotation and inspection for <$40 plus free coffee! Duh.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use 10w30 mobil 1 in everything . If it says JD on it is twice the cost.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not true in my neck of the woods, the jd oil I just bought was cheaper then Walmart super tech @ $3.64 a quart

1 - 6 of 6 Posts