Front protection package with power assist
Rear protection package
Winch
Windshield no scratch poly
Hard top
Back screen
upgraded wheels and tires
Lights on top front and back

Being new to any UTV I am looking for advice, if any needed, on tips for initial care/break in/ don't do this stupid type stuff

Thank you for you time

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oil Change after 8 hrs

Keep a close eye on your hour meter...your first oil change is due after only 8 hrs of operation. (oil 2.2 L and filter)....Pg: 48 owner’s manual
On the oil drain plug there is a small powerful magnet....make sure to remove it from the oil drain plug and clean off any metal from break in...(this step is not mentioned in the manual as a step (pg: 51 and 52)
Ps...oil filter is on freaking tight.....

John

·
Registered
483 Posts
Congrats. I invested in an oil filter wrench cap to get the filter off. It was tight but getting the right body position and good ratchet it finally came off.

If I had a breaker bar handy, I would have tried that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are there any other areas that I should keep a close eye on? Again I admit that this is my first UTV ever. I am familiar with most types of farm equipment but I know each one has its own little quirks and never having a UTV hate to be a dumb user. My dealer said to watch the CV boots closely for tears as that is one the most common problems he has seen owners neglect. Should I purchase the extra protection even though my use of the machine will not at all extreme?

·
Registered
483 Posts
A couple things I learned...

1. To start, it is best to turn the ignition, wait a couple seconds, then crank. It starts better. If you just crank without pausing, it seems to stumble. I was told this is to allow the fuel injection system to stabilize. It does consistently work.

2. It shifts better (and probably safer) if the rpm is under 1100 rpm.. 1000 rpm is even better. This means idle.

I did get the CV joint protection options on front and rear. It just takes one stick to flip up and spear them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You're right Bunky......

What is happening in the ECM is the MAF sensor and MAP sensor (Mass Air Flow) and Mass Air Pressure) normally read the air temperature and pressure coming into the engine intake system. The TPS (throttle position sensor) sends a signal to the ECM along with MAP and MAF (plus lots of other imputs) and the ECM sends a fuel signal to the injector(s)

So things like altitude, RPM, load are all a calculation in the ECM and the signal sent to the injectors compensates for these factors and keeps the air/fuel ratio at optimum.

So when you wait a second or two with key-on/engine-off, the ECM can read barometric pressure and temperature of the ambient air and adjust fuel rate so the unit starts well at virtually any altitude or barometric pressure.

The nice thing with EFI is we don't have to compensate for elevation, like in the old days of quadding or sledding. In my area, I am pretty much at sea-level (65 feet) and I have several trail options within an hour of my place that can take me as high as 7000 feet! And yes, you will lose power at those altitudes!!

A couple things I learned...

1. To start, it is best to turn the ignition, wait a couple seconds, then crank. It starts better. If you just crank without pausing, it seems to stumble. I was told this is to allow the fuel injection system to stabilize. It does consistent work.

2. It shifts better (and probably safer) if the rpm is under 1100 rpm.. 1000 rpm is even better. This means idle.

I did get the CV joint protection options on front and rear. It just takes one stick to flip up and spear them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gosh dude these things will make you act like a little kid again! I took it out to the farm last night for the first time and had so much fun that I couldn't sleep last night. Almost called in sick today so I could go back. Then I remembered what gas and oil cost so I am at work dang it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This one caught me off guard on my first steep hill decent....I just responded to another post so its a copy of what I just posted....

When descending steep declines you will need to keep your foot on the accelerator and maintain a certain RPM or speed...on mine it’s just above 2 mph...if I do this the clutch will maintain “engaged” and you have pretty good engine brake...also I found that by descending the real steep stuff using low range worked a bit better....give this a shot and thought I don’t normally recommend “two foot driving”...for this purpose keep your left foot over that brake to be ready to catch it, in case you do freewheel... Also descend straight down your steep hills, if you disengage and suddenly re-engages, it’s like slamming on the brakes.....so use caution....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank "Poppy" I was at the farm yesterday afternoon and put this to the test and it worked perfectly. No slippage or any feeling of "oh crap" while descending my steepest hill. I had been over it twice already but only used the brakes and it seemed all they wanted and at times I wanted more. But when "double footing it" over yesterday I was able to use a lot less brake and had much more control of the descent.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another question from a new guy.

I want to make sure I find all the grease fittings on my new 825i. I have scanned my owners manual and unless I am blind (which is a good possibility) I so far have only saw two mentioned there. One on the driveshaft passenger side accessed through a small opening and one under the belly for the front. Can some one give me guidance on the where the others are if any?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Another question from a new guy.

I want to make sure I find all the grease fittings on my new 825i. I have scanned my owners manual and unless I am blind (which is a good possibility) I so far have only saw two mentioned there. One on the driveshaft passenger side accessed through a small opening and one under the belly for the front. Can some one give me guidance on the where the others are if any?
There are only two from what I have seen. The remainder had been switch to sealed (non-greasing) types a few years back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
decision time 825i or 550

hello all,

I'm new to the site and know that the informed folks here can help me with he decision i need to make.

I am purchasing a new gator for my better half for her birthday, leaning towards the 825i instead of the 550. Just wondering what you all think.

We have 20 acres with woods, small hills and a creek on the property, just want to get something that will do what she wants when she wants it to. Any suggestions to extra options would be appreciated.

Thanks all for your help ahead of time

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All I can tell you is that I am 20 hours into my new 825I and have been more than pleased. I honestly don't think there is a reasonable up slope it wont tackle especially with a winch. Now the downsides that I personally would mention are:

1. From what I gather water crossings it is limited unless you spend the time and money to snorkel it.
2. Passenger seat is barely adjustable unlike the drivers. Therefore bigger (height wise) passengers can fell cramped.
3. With the extra weight comes a slight push on a down hill slope that has to be watched. In other words it will climb in a condition that you wouldn't want to turn around and go over.

Just my two cents worth. If you don't want an extreme trail rider then you cant beat it. The ride, the noise level, the power, the stability on mine have been very impressive.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
483 Posts
3. With the extra weight comes a slight push on a down hill slope that has to be watched. In other words it will climb in a condition that you wouldn't want to turn around and go over.
I guess with a winch you can try to lower yourself back down.

I have watched quite a few youtube videos most UTV's seem to flip because they pitch suddenly (like over a rock or in a hole), machine may slip sideways, then roll. Obviously it is always on an incline.

Here is a video (not 825i) that seemed to roll too easily..makes you think how you can get in trouble.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmnlawSiQec

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDAT at 50 hour mark

For any considering purchasing I can attest to the fact that I have put 50 hours my 825i in 4 months with absolutely zero issues. I have used it to winch logs out of trails. it has climbed everything I point it at and the only advice I can give is if you will take your time down hill and use common sense with it then it appears to be capable of about anything. The only thing that would make is better in my opinion would be an adjustable passenger seat or at least move it back another 2" for more room on that side.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts