John Deere Gator Forums banner

New owner

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  nwpahntr 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,
My name is Neil, and I live in northwest, PA. I recently bought an 01 gator 6x4. I was very pleased the first 15 minutes I had it, but that was short lived due to the temp light coming on. After replacing the entire cooling system, waiting weeks for parts, because my local dealer doesnt keep anything in stock, and dumping about $600 into it, i was just relieved to get it back out on the farm. Today, the first day using it since the repairs, it ran great, but after about 20 minutes of use, the steering wheel became really hard to turn. It felt like it was stuck on something, but then after a little more force, it turned fine. I jacked it up in the garage and noticed both boots are ripped. I turned the steering wheel multiple times and it was smooth. Then It would begin to stick again. Figuring it would be a bad rack and pinion, I came in to check price and availability. Obviously it is a special order item, and cheapest cost I could find was $675. Just the boots are $30 a piece. ... Im sorry Im rambling about the issues, but Im in need of some advice, before I sell every green piece of equipment I have. Any advice or ideas are greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.