John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The riding I do around here varies greatly from snow and mud to rock crawling and trails. I was a little apprehensive about the skid plate protection that the RSX comes with from the factory, so I took the initiative myself and built my own.
A fellow down the road from me builds custom boat skid plates for aluminum jet boats, so I visited him and purchased a 4'x5' sheet of UHMW plastic (1/2" thick) for $200. He claims that his customers have not managed to wreck this stuff so far and they are pounding 4000-5000 lb jet boats onto rocks and gravel bars. I figured that its gotta hold up better the 3/16" factory stuff, since I have almost destroyed it in the first 500 miles!

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good job on thinking outside the box!! I like it, I was considering upgrading my skid plate also so I may have to steal this idea!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Awesome job!!!!!!! Be willing to make another one or 3/8 thick and ship?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would be willing to make some more, but since I live in Canada......
Well if anybody has done it, you know that shipping across the border is a pain in the azz. If I order a part worth say $100, and have it shipped from anywhere USA, the shipping and brokerage to cross the 49th would be around $75 depending on the size of the package. If I have the exact same package shipped to a bordertown (Sumas Washington), I can take a trip across the border for free and pay only about $15 for the same package in shipping?

So sending a large, heavy, irregular package such as a plastic skidplate, would probably be $100 to $150 in shipping.

With the time it takes to cut up and fab the piece, I would have to charge about $400 to make it worth my while. Plus the shipping?

Don't know? If there is enough interest, like at least four skid plates, it might be cost effective and the shipping may be lower?
See how much interest this thread stirs up?
But I am game if people are interested.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Shipping Sucks!!!!!!!!

I know the guys at Rubberdown Customs, they come across the border and ship USPS to try to keep shipping costs down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I took the factory optioned aluminum skid plate and modified it into three pieces. That way I can drop the section under the belt area to make changing the belt faster.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Only skid plate I know of for the RSX right now is the Aluminum Factory skid plate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts