John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey my names Brian. I'm new to the forum and the SxS community. I just bought my Gator Rsx850 Thursday of last week and love it. I have one problem however, after taking it on the trails with my brothers Teryx and a few other friends in a Rhino and Ranger it become apparent that I didn't have as much ground clearance as I'd like to have. I've lifted my shocks some and now I'm looking for some new tires. Preferably the Moto mtc tires. But It's hard finding a tire in a 28 that is 8 inches wide. I'm just curious if I can run a 9 or 10 inch wide tire in the front and maybe an 11 in the back. It's just an inch or so wider than the stock bighorns but I'm scared it'll hit my control arms. I want to keep the stock deere wheels and Id really rather not use a spacer. Are any of you running larger aftermarket tires with these specs?

·
Registered
146 Posts
There are lots of people running taller and wider tires. I am running 27" STI Black Diamonds. Front is 9" wide and rear is 11". No clearance problems at all. However, if I had to do it over, I would have put the 9" all the way around.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I think that might be just what I need to help with the extra clearance issues. Why the 9" all the way around ?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Radials are pretty heavy. I could have saved a few pounds on the rear. Additionally, wider tires are pretty overrated. Seen many a time where a narrower tire (truck, atv, etc) will cut down through slop and gain traction a lot quicker.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Valid point. I'm thinking its gonna wind up being 28x10 inch Swamp kites all round. I'm still a little worried on the width issue on the front. But I'm getting a great deal. Can't pass it up. Plus the extra few inches will be well needed on the trail.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help. I'll put up some pictures once it stops looking stock.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!! I am running a 9.5 wide in the front and a 11 wide in the rear with no problems. I am running 29.5 Outlaw 2s for home. But you can run up to a 30" tire stock.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The tire width that you can get away with is really going to depend on the height of the tire as well, if you want to fit 9s and 11s I would keep the height below 29 inches just to be safe. There are some good tire and wheel combos here if you're interested. Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Those 30" tires look nice Rpfitz82. We have customers running our 26" Run Flat tires in our area. Did you lose much in turning radius with the 30" tires?

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Bat, you should have just told me that I was right...now I have another thing to add to the mod list.;)

·
Registered
904 Posts
Bat, you should have just told me that I was right...now I have another thing to add to the mod list.;)
LOL!!!!! OK OK OK....your right.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Any sxs without power steering will be difficult to turn in 4wd at slow speeds probably more so with deep lug tires like mine but that's just one more reason to add another accessory to my ride!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts