John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an 06 diesel HPX 4x4 for free, the guy that gave it to me didn't know anything about it just that the farm wanted it gone. They were getting rid of everything not just this gator, leading me to believe it may not be a lost cause. This is my first side-by-side, never even been on one.

I'm excited to try to get it running. I want to know what things I can do to see if getting it running is worth the time and money. Before throwing parts at it.

Current status: body plastics in bad shape, Frankenstein style Staples across cracked plastic on most panels. No leaks. One flat cracked tire. Dead battery from 2014. I just got it off the trailer where it sat all winter. Don't know how long it sat before that. Fuel filter looks like it has a lot of gunk in it, clear plastic.

I put it on the charger for a few hours. When I turn the key the dash lights up, when the glowplug light goes out I turn key, get nothing no cranking or anything. Even tried to jump start it with the same result.

Does the brake need to be pushed to start?

The battery is only 55 bucks, but I don't want to go down the slippery slope of buying part after part only to find out it's a lost cause.

What things should I look for before opening the wallet to confirm it has good bones. Should I at least drain the diesel and put in a new filter and battery?

Any input will be appreciated!
What would your plan of attack be?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Considering it sounded like it sat for a very long time, I'd drain the fuel tank of all diesel into a clean container to check if any bacteria (looks like slime) is growing. If the fuel doesn't look perfect clean the fuel system including changing filter before trying to start. You don't want to push all that crap through the fuel system. Fresh known to be good fuel is always a good starting point when dealing with diesel.

Buy yourself the workshop manual as it will help you from "throwing parts at it". Hopefully you have the mechanical and electrical ability to properly diagnosis the machine or this will become an expensive proposition very quickly.

Take the battery out and at least have it load tested. It's likely no good and no amount of charging is going to help. While the battery is out clean both ends of the cables really well to ensure metal to metal contact.

You'll also likely need to bleed the fuel lines once it is able turn over.

Good luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Got to be in neutral to start, no brake safety switch. Can you move the motor manually? make sure it's not locked up, that would make it a boat anchor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks 200mph, I have mechanical ability, not so much electrical. I will follow your suggestions.
Thanks also pede58. I will test that as well. Boat anchor is the term I was looking for. :LOL:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news, I left it on the charger all day, and it started first try. The cracked tire holds air too, so I added some fresh diesel and was able to drive it a couple miles. They were using red off-highway/farm diesel so that's why the see through fuel filter looked bad.

Two issues: 1. The centrifugal clutch sticks occasionally under load on incline, stalling. Upon restart in N the clutch spins at high rpms not allowing me to shift into gear without grinding and killing the motor. After a couple revs with the dump bed open to confirm the clutch released the belt I can shift again. I read some posts here about clutch problems, seems to happen a lot?

2. There's a small leak in the radiator, little puffs of coolant vapor comes out. It smells like ammonia. Is that smell normal?

My next step was going to be getting a repair manual and changing the fluids

Thanks for the help so far!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Red fuel is fine, after all it is an off road vehicle, besides I seem to have less problems with algae in the red. Clutches will need a good cleaning, don't lube them, and chances are a good rebuild. Can't say I've ever smelled ammonia but the puffing has me a bit concerned, see if you got any oily slim in the radiator, it'll be floating on top. Also leave the cap off and see if it's bubbling when it's running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts