John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is supposedly an '03 model with 600+ hours, but the PIN doesn't match anything in the database, W006X4X069222. Is this a M-series machine?
It has the liquid cooled gas engine. It has the typical gear grind and brake chatter issues which I understand could be from the idle being too fast, but I'd like to know what the idle speed should be. I've searched all over for an owner's manual with no luck. I'd like to find parts and shop manuals too if possible. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Publications can be found here after entering model.

If your number is not covered in the specific thread shown below, the instructions state to consult your local dealer. This has NOT changed since the post was created to address this popular question.

Product Font Rectangle Screenshot Material property

Reactions: Jux

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Shop manual AKA technical manual does cost $’s to purchase.

If you’re going to work on your Gator it can be a tremendous help.
Considering repair costs and transportation at the dealer it’s easy to recoup cost of manual.
It’s likely 99% of a standard operators manual will apply to your “special” model. Most operator manuals are free on JD’s web site.

Reactions: Jux

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shop manual AKA technical manual does cost $’s to purchase.

If you’re going to work on your Gator it can be a tremendous help.
Considering repair costs and transportation at the dealer it’s easy to recoup cost of manual.
It’s likely 99% of a standard operators manual will apply to your “special” model. Most operator manuals are free on JD’s web site.
Yes, understood. Years ago I was a field mechanic for a Caterpillar dealer. That Cat dealer sold to another company with branches all over the West. They also now sell John Deere equipment including the entire Gator line up. The local branch is only a few miles from me. The parts guy I was talking to is going to call back in the morning with results, if any. I know Deere, Cat, Ford, GM, and many others are fighting the Right To Repair laws - this keeps the prices of tech manuals high. I will get the tech manual also if it's available.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't know why I trusted the parts guy to call me back. Anyway, my most pressing issue is the primary clutch/gear grinding. I have the FD620D owner's manual and checked the idle speed. It's around 1,100 r/m, slightly below the recommended setting - so that's not causing the problem. The primary clutch is fully disengaged as far as I can tell (the sheave side is flat against the cover), and the belt is flailing loose but still positively driving the secondary clutch - I couldn't stop it. Speculating that the problem is within the primary centrifugal clutch. The machine has 600+ hours on it. Is it time for a clutch rebuild/replacement already?

·
Registered
24 Posts
It is supposedly an '03 model with 600+ hours, but the PIN doesn't match anything in the database, W006X4X069222. Is this a M-series machine?
It has the liquid cooled gas engine. It has the typical gear grind and brake chatter issues which I understand could be from the idle being too fast, but I'd like to know what the idle speed should be. I've searched all over for an owner's manual with no luck. I'd like to find parts and shop manuals too if possible. Any help is greatly appreciated.
You are correct, your gator is a 2003 model. All PIN numbers (serial numbers) and years of manufacture are detailed in the Parts catalog available at Johndeere.com in a hyperlink under the "Documents" heading. Below link takes you to the info you are looking for. (copy and paste it into your browser.

As for your idle rpm, TM spec is 1175 rpm plus or minus 50 but I would adjust it lower as long as it runs smooth. (less rpm at idle will result in less grinding when shifting. You can purchase either a paper or CD tech manual from John Deere.com Enjoy your 6x4 Gator. It's a simple machine with that will provide you years of service and enjoyment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Don't know why I trusted the parts guy to call me back. Anyway, my most pressing issue is the primary clutch/gear grinding. I have the FD620D owner's manual and checked the idle speed. It's around 1,100 r/m, slightly below the recommended setting - so that's not causing the problem. The primary clutch is fully disengaged as far as I can tell (the sheave side is flat against the cover), and the belt is flailing loose but still positively driving the secondary clutch - I couldn't stop it. Speculating that the problem is within the primary centrifugal clutch. The machine has 600+ hours on it. Is it time for a clutch rebuild/replacement already?
Some grinding is normal by design. When shifting do not be afraid to jam the lever into gear. If you shift slowly you can potentially do more damage than shifting aggressivly. If it pops out of gear once it is engaged and the linkage is adjusted correctly, then you have a problem. There is a kit available from Deere to correct this but it's expensive and you have to dissasemble the transaxle to install. Lower you idle rpm to reduce the grinding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some grinding is normal by design. When shifting do not be afraid to jam the lever into gear. If you shift slowly you can potentially do more damage than shifting aggressivly. If it pops out of gear once it is engaged and the linkage is adjusted correctly, then you have a problem. There is a kit available from Deere to correct this but it's expensive and you have to dissasemble the transaxle to install. Lower you idle rpm to reduce the grinding.
Gear grinding must be normal to Gators. I have a Polaris Sportsman 450 with a similar CVT and there is no grinding at all. The idle speed on it is ~1,300 r/m. I'll see if I can bump down my idle to see what happens.

Thank you.

PS: Would be interested in knowing more about that "kit".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts