John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband is finally getting his dream - a John Deere Gator. The thing is, we don't know anything about anything when it comes to ATVs, XUVs, etc. But -I am hoping that maybe you more experienced folks can sort some things out for us.

We will be using this gator in northern Vermont to primarily plow, haul wood, etc. We have about 1000 foot driveway that will need plowing in the winter. We have about 38 acres of sloping property.....7 acres of meadow and 30ish acres of woods.

What options, accessories can you recommend or avoid?

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum or if I'm too new....I am the researcher of the bunch. My husband wanted to grab one while they have the current incentive going on but we also don't want to be rushed into a decision....and fingers crossed, they'll offer another incentive for November. Thanks for all your help. If you need other information or have specific questions - please let me know. Thanks again.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!

I live in the south, so I don't have to worry about plowing, but cold is another story.

Roof, full tilting front windshield, back windshield, maybe a cab with a heater.

The 825i will be perfect for yall.

·
Registered
709 Posts
BOSS makes a really nice FULL POWER V blade for the 825i. We sell a lot of them out of our store in Indiana. I would recommend that. It's a bit pricier, but it's a really nice a durable set up.

We sell a lot of roofs, windshields, soft cabs (not John Deere), and heater kits for the 825i's. Deere does make a really nice radio console for the gator, it's a bit expensive but SUPER easy to install!

Just some ideas there!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We were looking at the V blade for the 825i. Only thing is, we may also want the blade to move around some dirt/fill in the summer months - not sure how durable it will be to that but I think we'll make a call to Boss today.

What kind of soft shell cabs do folks normally get? And for the windshield....if we get the poly one, is there any way of keeping that thing from icing up in the winter if we need to plow and the weather is bad? Or should we have to go with the all glass windshield and wiper?

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
709 Posts
The V blade is nice that John Deere makes but the only downfall to it, is that you have manually change the angle of the V. You'll have control from the cab of the up and down movement, but have to pull pins to slide the wings forward and backward. The Boss blade is a remote inside the cab that does that with a push of a button and for not a whole ton more money. If you go on their website, you can see if there is a UTV Plow dealer with boss close to you.

As for the windshield, the glass with the wiper is nice, but for either one, if you are going to get some sort of cab enclosure, you need to buy the heater. The heater kit does have a top vent which you can point toward the windshield.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts