just joined site.....I've had the same problem with mine,turn off key and then pull on choke to flood it....had things checked out and found it was a ignition switch problem.....had to try to start several times , sometimes start right off , would sometimes shut off no problem , sometimes drown with choke.....all led to ignition switch..... Hope this helps
my gator is an older 1963 or 67 model with the Kawasaki engine....a motorcycle mechanic checked it and told me about switch
Thanks Guys I really appreciate the Replies.Retired I was trying to determine if the cutoff switch is one of the black boxes mounted under the bed that have wires running from the battery or is it mounted under passenger seat near the battery.I really need a wiring diagram to decipher what I'm looking at as I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to electrical issues.There are a whole lot more wires and switches than I would have thought there would be on a gator.Am I looking in the right area or is it under the dash where the key switch is ?Thanks for any and all help.Would like to get a repair manual if someone could lead me in the right direction.Thanks Again Retired
Filet......I replaced the ignition switch (key on dash) ,but still had same issues.....my son-in-law came over and we got to looking and moving wires around , and found a lose wire the went to the little grounding block ( a little metal box thing about 1in x 1in x 1/4in , mounted about 4in towards the front from the spark plug on my Kawasaki eng) the wire was in a connector but just had a couple wires left and with the wiggling it broke lose......re stripped the wire and reinserted and then re crimped the connector .....we have used the gator 6 or 8 times since this week and all start and stops work as designed
all the problems and it ended up just a loose , bad crimped wire
hope this Helps .....check all the wires and all the connectors......a friend had mud dobbers short out his ATV , they built a nest (clod) on a relay on the frame , when it was humid it would not run , when it was dry it worked (he's allergic to bee's and stuff so was afraid to mess with nest) so had a neighbor bust up the clod and it works OK now , he sprayed with WD40 to keep them off electrical stuff......