John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from the Missouri Ozarks!

Looking at purchasing a new (2021) XUV825M S4. I've done hours of research and comparisons and this machine seems to strike the best balance for me--half work and half play. My priorities are: 1. Reliability/Durability, 2. Hauling/towing capacity, 3. Suspension/ride, and 4. Speed/fun.

Never owned a SxS of any type and been many years since I've ridden ATVs.

Where is a good place to find aftermarket parts--windshield, winch, doors...?

Any feedback or advice about this rig?

·
Registered
750 Posts
1. If you read this forum you will learn which areas of the machine tend to cause problems. Highest on the list is probably the primary clutch.

2. Deere publishes specs on it's towing and cargo capacity. Towing capacity will vary depending on how far back you mount your hitch. Further aft makes it easier to get to the hitch but reduces your towing capacity. Further forward allows greater capacity but the hitch is underneath the bed so it can be a bit of a head banger.

3. A neighbor has a four seat 825. The ride is pretty good partially due to the long wheelbase.

4. I'm not sure any four seat machine ranks high on fun. As the machine gets longer & heavier the fun factor goes down and the 825 S4 is a big machine. I find the 44mph top speed adequate for medium size properties. It's certainly much faster than my 550 (30mph) but nowhere near what other machines can do. Many people complain that the engine turns too many rpm's at low speeds but I think it's done to help towing capacity and it seems to work.

One of the biggest negatives of Deere is Deere themselves. They keep a strangle hold on their vendors with non-compete clauses so aftermarket and upgrade parts are almost nonexistent. You are almost required to go to Deere for your parts needs. The accessory market isn't great with very few items specific for Deere when compared to other brands but you can use generic items like lights and fuzzy dice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. If you read this forum you will learn which areas of the machine tend to cause problems. Highest on the list is probably the primary clutch.

2. Deere publishes specs on it's towing and cargo capacity. Towing capacity will vary depending on how far back you mount your hitch. Further aft makes it easier to get to the hitch but reduces your towing capacity. Further forward allows greater capacity but the hitch is underneath the bed so it can be a bit of a head banger.

3. A neighbor has a four seat 825. The ride is pretty good partially due to the long wheelbase.

4. I'm not sure any four seat machine ranks high on fun. As the machine gets longer & heavier the fun factor goes down and the 825 S4 is a big machine. I find the 44mph top speed adequate for medium size properties. It's certainly much faster than my 550 (30mph) but nowhere near what other machines can do. Many people complain that the engine turns too many rpm's at low speeds but I think it's done to help towing capacity and it seems to work.

One of the biggest negatives of Deere is Deere themselves. They keep a strangle hold on their vendors with non-compete clauses so aftermarket and upgrade parts are almost nonexistent. You are almost required to go to Deere for your parts needs. The accessory market isn't great with very few items specific for Deere when compared to other brands but you can use generic items like lights and fuzzy dice.
Thank you for helping me get started!

You've pretty much confirmed my thinking on the 4 "priority" items. I'll research the primary clutch issue some more..

Appreciate the tip on towing!

You're exactly right about the speed, but my idea of fun is cruising back roads and trails--nothing extreme, and 45 mph is about all I need.

utvdirect seems to have some aftermarket options that might check some boxes. I need to narrow my decisions, but I like the looks of this windshield design, and would appreciate any feedback.

·
Super Moderator
3,257 Posts
Thank you for helping me get started!

You've pretty much confirmed my thinking on the 4 "priority" items. I'll research the primary clutch issue some more..

Appreciate the tip on towing!

You're exactly right about the speed, but my idea of fun is cruising back roads and trails--nothing extreme, and 45 mph is about all I need.

utvdirect seems to have some aftermarket options that might check some boxes. I need to narrow my decisions, but I like the looks of this windshield design, and would appreciate any feedback.
In all honesty the vent option looks interesting, however a plastic windshield will scratch very easily no matter how careful you are when cleaning. Even more so with a uncoated poly, as quoted below from your website link.
  • “Windshield material made from clear uncoated polycarbonate”

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In all honesty the vent option looks interesting, however a plastic windshield will scratch very easily no matter how careful you are when cleaning. Even more so with a uncoated poly, as quoted below from your website link.
  • “Windshield material made from clear uncoated polycarbonate”
Good point. I haven't seen many glass options, and was hoping to find some product and vendor recommendations here.

Do you have an enclosure? I like the idea of adding a heater and doing some degree of cold weather protection, but I don't think I'd be happy with a soft enclosure, I'd like something that can be removed without too much work, and, of course, I don't want to spend a fortune...

·
Super Moderator
3,257 Posts
Good point. I haven't seen many glass options, and was hoping to find some product and vendor recommendations here.

Do you have an enclosure? I like the idea of adding a heater and doing some degree of cold weather protection, but I don't think I'd be happy with a soft enclosure, I'd like something that can be removed without too much work, and, of course, I don't want to spend a fortune...
I do have an enclosure on my 825 with a heater. Check out John Deere Gator 625i and 825i Laminated Glass Windshield

·
Registered
750 Posts
My 5 year old coated poly windshield still looks good after 5 years so they can last and remain clear, but I have been very careful when cleaning it. Also, my Gator is stored in a conditioned garage so it doesn't get dirty while in storage like it might sitting in a barn.

·
Super Moderator
3,257 Posts
I like that windshield design, but no fitment for 2020 or 2021, and 825M isn't listed. Are accessories interchangeable between 825i and 825m for same model years?

Is your enclosure factory or something you added?
Factory “Deluxe Cab” also known as a Mauser Cab.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts