John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2015 XUV 590i with no 4WD. The front differential oil was low due to a leaking axle seal, trying to get the diff.out. Got all the bolts and the axle shafts out but not sure how to get it out of the frame. Think it comes out the top, need to remove the power steering motor and steering gear, but the steering column doesn't separate like a car does. Don't want to take the dash all apart to get the steering wheel and shaft off if not needed. Any suggestions how to get this thing apart? Been an auto tech for many years, strangest thing I ever seen. Thanks

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
GRB,

It might be worth doing a search as there have been several posts about lack of 4WD and/or removing front assembly. Did you verify the electric solenoid is working? On some gators, specific conditions must exist before 4wd engages. Might be worth checking the "theory of operation" in your model specific workshop manual.

In one of the recent posts about 4WD issues, there was an issue with roller bearings in a plastic cage that prevented movement when the solenoid tried to engage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has no solenoid, its mechanical. The lever moves when the handle is pulled but it doesn't engage the gears. I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for. There was very little oil in it so I am sure there is some damaged parts.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that it is mechanical on that model.

It will be interesting to learn what you find once disassembled. Please post pictures if possible, so others can learn from your experience.

Good luck and I hope the damage is minimal and relatively easy to fix.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got it apart, the lever that the cable pulls on was stuck in the differential housing. There is a small button on the lever that fits into a groove in the gear. Took it apart and cleaned everything and they seem to work fine. To get the differential out is a little project, take off the hood, front bumper, radiator, sway bar, unbolt the steering rack. With the rack unbolted you can unbolt the steering shaft and get the power steering motor out. Then you unbolt the 3 bolts in the diff, undo the drive shaft and let the front of the diff fall thru the frame and you ca wiggle it out the top by lifting on the park brake rotor. I already had the caliper off. Piece of cake, right. Now I need 2 new axle seals and the gasket for the housing and can put it back together and hope it works. I h

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got it apart, the lever that the cable pulls on was stuck in the differential housing. There is a small button on the lever that fits into a groove in the gear. Took it apart and cleaned everything and they seem to work fine. To get the differential out is a little project, take off the hood, front bumper, radiator, sway bar, unbolt the steering rack. With the rack unbolted you can unbolt the steering shaft and get the power steering motor out. Then you unbolt the 3 bolts in the diff, undo the drive shaft and let the front of the diff fall thru the frame and you ca wiggle it out the top by lifting on the park brake rotor. I already had the caliper off. Piece of cake, right. Now I need 2 new axle seals and the gasket for the housing and can put it back together and hope it works. I have some pics, hope they make sense. It's a simple system, but its not for the long run.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Glad you found what appears to be the root cause.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hope this helps, this is a really simple system but it's not made for longevity. Kind or like your parking brake that never works. But electric shift doesn't last forever either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Changed 2 seals and got the lever to work freely. Spent lots of time with the pressure washer, put it back together and it works like new. Could have taken the lever housing off without removing the differential, now I know for next time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts