John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my ad hoc noise control system described in another post below didn’t work, my ears and brain cried for relief.

The temporary solution was two pair of JD noise cancelling head phones. These worked better than I expected. A heated cab is a requirement for wearing them in the winter. There is also a difference in performance between the two pair that we purchased. The microphone/circuits in one picks up the thump of the tracks hitting an obstruction and magnifies the sound. No problem in snow but annoying in rougher terrain. (Now that we’ve switched back to tires, that particular noise doesn’t exist.) Headphones are a pain if you are in and out but head phones appear to be an ideal solution when doing a single job like spraying fence rows or ditches.

Ordered some sound insulation foam from Parts Express International on Amazon.

Two 18” x 24” panels of Sonic Barrier 1-1/4 3-Layer Damping Material w/PSA were installed on the steel panel underneath the rear window. The fit is almost perfect. The PSA adhesive solves the attachment problem but makes fitting difficult. I punched out recesses for the bolt/nut heads. The biggest problem is in fitting around the seat belt retractors. Easiest to install the foam and then cut the reliefs.

With the sonic barrier in place, you have a place for two waffle panels to butt into. (Acoustic Foam 2-1/2" x 24" x 18" UL 94). These take a lot of cutting and fitting to fit around the seat frame components.

Also ordered two 18 x 24” Sonic Barrier 1 Acoustic Foam w/PSA 18 x 24 but haven’t figured out how to use them.

Now that tires are back on, I’ll dig out the sound meter to see if there is a measurable effect. Subjectively, there is an improvement.

Does anyone have suggestions on what material to use on the vertical kick panels underneath the seat? And what to use on the floor?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I used the Eastwood brand DynaMat material in my 825i...I put it on the Poly back panel, under the floormats, up at the roof line inside where the Poly Roof and back panel meet, under the seat in different places, and wherever else I could get some stuck to deaden the sound of the cab and the engine...

It worked really well...it should help with the heat issue up at your feet in the floor area too...the engine now has a deeper tone and is quieter inside the cab from using the Dynamat material...I highly recommend that stuff...I ordered mine from Eastwood (as I said...their brand instead of the DynaMat proper...big price difference...) on a Tuesday afternoon, and it was sitting at my house in MD on Thursday morning...

Larry in MD :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pictures

Thanks for the picture link. Had to register to view them. Now have an approach. In another life, lived a few miles from Eastwood. Miss their annual parking lot sales.

·
Registered
32 Posts
noise

i put some foam on the back of the cab and under the seat , it made a pretty good difference , but i forgot to check it with the dec metre before i did that. my reader reads 85 when its idling and 90 and 70 kph,

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for the picture link. Had to register to view them. Now have an approach. In another life, lived a few miles from Eastwood. Miss their annual parking lot sales.
I hope you saw something that will help you a bit with your sound deadening efforts...I am thoroughly pleased with the stuff I used...it made a noticeable difference to me and my wife, so that's what matters the most...I do know that I don't have to crank the volume of my radio up as much as I used to when riding around...I turn it to the volume where it's just a tad too loud when idling, and that is where it stays when riding...before, I had to turn it up only after getting up to speed because it was WAY too loud while sitting there idling...I'd always have to be ready to turn it down a bunch when I got close to stopping too...a royal pain in the ass...:mad:

I guess that I should be glad that I don't live close to the Eastwood Warehouse...I'd be more broke than I am already from buying goodies at the parking lot sales...I really like their stuff a bunch...I use alot of their products on old Harleys that I rebuild and refinish...their POR 15 gas tank sealant is the best stuff out there...

Larry in MD :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts