John Deere Gator Forums banner

Not a Happy Camper

7K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Batman 
#1 ·
My 850D was in the shop for 3 weeks and just got it back today. The main problem was the steering rack seized and that broke the steering column shaft. Since I only had it a few weeks I asked them to check out the entire Gator while in the shop since I bought it used. It has 700 hours now. Well, the bill was just shy of $3K and now it won't even go up my driveway hill. The manager of the JD dealer said it was always that way and it would cost another $3K to fix it. BS!!! They replaced the rack, steering column, main clutch, belt, transaxel seals, drive shaft, and 35 other small parts. To fix the "new" problem will take replacement of the front wheel drive clutch assembly which he says is another $3K. I made a BIG mistake buying JD.

#3 ·
I hate to hear your problems guys. I have had nothing but good luck out of all my deere products, including my gators.

I also have a great dealer I am dealing with.

#5 ·
Take it to John Deere coporate, they should make it right. I have heard of them making things right on other things, I would assume they would do you the same.

#6 ·
Fixed - For Now

After some diagnostics by me (I bought the technical manual) the problem was determined. The dealer sent the branch manager and his service manager out to the farm to see it. I showed them the problem I discovered and they agreed. Lucky for them I have a fully equipped shop and tools so we took it in, jacked it up and they removed the secondary clutch and set the tension on the large spring. Not an easy task winding that spring. It is now working but still has the front end noise which as the manual and JD service bulletins say, will always be there. Reading other older post here it seems the front differential and drive shaft are noisy and problematic.

#7 ·
That's cool. What did the managers do for you????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.