John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if its ok to run Amsoil, oil and filter in a new 2013 825i? I am ready to change the oil and filter, but would like a little input first on thoughts. The warranty runs until October 2014.

·
Registered
483 Posts
After 8 hours, you can use any SG or higher API approved oil - dino or syn.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You could switch to a Synthetic at anytime?...Do the Breakin , and do it Right....Run synthetic ON!!! your 3rd Oil Change

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Me personally will run deere oil and filter until the warranty is out and then I will run what I want.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Me personally will run deere oil and filter until the warranty is out and then I will run what I want.
X2. I know how Deere warranty works and I don't want to complicate it.
It will definitely simplify any warranty discussions.

·
Registered
709 Posts
As for during the warranty period, i agree completely. After the warranty is out i would use NOTHING but a John Deere Filter. Oil wise that's up to you, but i would not use Fram, or Napa, or whatever else is on the market.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does anyone know if its ok to run Amsoil, oil and filter in a new 2013 825i? I am ready to change the oil and filter, but would like a little input first on thoughts. The warranty runs until October 2014.
Yes you can with no problems what-so-ever. I put AMSOIL in my 2010 JD X728SE tractor (27 hp Kawasaki) at 5 hrs and never looked back. I ran it to 105 hrs blowing snow before I changed again 2 yrs later. 0w-40 is what I use and I also use an AMSOIL filter.

JD and dealers only recommend what makes this money. That is why GM, Ford, Honda, Yamaha, Polaris, Kubota and anyone who makes equipment with an engine, all have their own house brands. They can create the impression that only their lubes are appropriate for their equipment.

Local JD carries this AMSOIL, he told me he installs it in tractors and gators when customers have problems starting them in cold weather. The wrong viscosity oil can make it hard on batteries, especially in low use equipment.

...Synthetic 4-Stroke 0W-40

I have used AMSOIL for over 30 yrs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Z15, my thoughts exactly. Amsoil all the way, besides the warranty is now up, so the complication is now gone.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I say go with the Amsoil....I've been using it for years in all my small engines. I had a 2003 Yamaha Rx-1 snowmobile, when the sled had 8700 miles on it, I put an Mc Express turbo kit on. The engine had 8700 miles on it at that time, I ran it at 10.5 psi boost for about 260 HP, It ran perfect...When I sold it, it had just about 15000 miles...the guy who owns it now says it runs like a top....Amsoil is a VERY good oil...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Z15, my thoughts exactly. Amsoil all the way, besides the warranty is now up, so the complication is now gone.
It is well documented that many vehicle, power sports and small engine equipment dealerships regularly advise their customers that their warranties can be denied if the manufacturer’s brand of motor oil is not used. They use warranty denial as leverage to exclude the sale of competitors’ oils and ensure more business for themselves. I have had this tactic used on me by the local Polaris dealer (it cost him my business). This, of course, is against the law. You never see it in writing.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The JD manuals even state you can use other oils. However, JD is not going to let a chance for someone who likes to stay in brand to buy a JD oil and anything else (gloves, toys, etc).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not sure why one would use the 40w oils when JD's own maintenance kit for the 825i is 10w30. I will just use the same Schaeffer 10w30 diesel oil (also SM rated) that I use in my semi truck and other diesel motors. Heavy load of moly that compliments the zinc which makes for a very formidable friction modification package. It is a semi synthetic blend. I have long since gotten over the full synthetic only game, as base oil technology has advanced so much in the last 10 years that the big differences between Group II, Group III, and Group IV have shrunk considerably. The additive package, which makes up 20% of a motor oil is what primarily makes a oil good, better, or best anymore. The Schaeffer is a Group II+ and Group IV blend. Cold starting is a non issue, as the 825 is in a heated garage all winter except when being used.

My JD dealer is a MAJOR ag focused dealership. They don't play silly little "warranty will be denied" nonsense games like the smaller consumer/landscaping type of dealerships may do.

·
Super Moderator
3,692 Posts
I believe if you ran Amsoil from the get go, then have issues with JD honoring the warranty due to a perceived lubrication failure , Amsoil would come to bat for you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I believe if you ran Amsoil from the get go, then have issues with JD honoring the warranty due to a perceived lubrication failure , Amsoil would come to bat for you.
That is their claim, on paper, but some might still not be comfortable with that. There is no real evidence record that one can find where Amsoil stepped up and stomped a dealer over this type of thing. I have no problem with Amsoil's stuff, and use a few of their products in some applications, but I also have not ever had an enlarged paranoia gland over some warranty issues.

The only way to be sure is to use a name brand that is common and recognized, and has all the certifications for what you need, and is the viscosity the OEM recommends.

It all depends on one's comfort level and what helps them sleep well at night. And we all know that dealers and OEM's will do all they can to blame something else instead of honoring a warranty. If one is is up to speed on their knowledge of oils and is loaded for bear, dealers will be easier to confront. If you can't overwhelm them with technical data off the cuff and know what you are talking about, then they have the upper hand. And you can't just rely on marketing brochure information, you must know what you are using.

It is with this in mind that I primarily use Schaeffer Oil products most often. Over 175 years making oil, greases, and lubes, longer than anyone in N. America, and also one of the top 500 most technological advanced companies in America. So much so, that they even make some specialty greases for Shell Oil. Very cost effective products that compete favorably in pricing with most of the off the shelf oils and are reliable and certified. They cater primarily to commercial, agriculture, and construction markets, but anyone can buy their stuff. These guys have a long extensive track record and truly back their stuff. Anyone wants to buy, DON'T BUY ONLINE! You will get ripped off. Go on Schaeffer's site and locate a company rep and have them get you what you want. they can even turn you on to a commercial or ag user in your area and you could have them order what you want with their commercial order and get substantial discount on pricing. Of course, case lots only at a minimum. I am a commercial user and get wholesale pricing. Anyone local, I would have no problem including their order in my commercial order.

·
Registered
45 Posts
AMSOIL has always been a relatively small company competing against some of the largest in the world. Despite this fact, AMSOIL has never wavered from offering the highest quality products. AMSOIL insists on doing the right thing well into the future, just as it did in 1972.

You bought a John Deere because you wanted the best, so why search out the cheapest oil, when you can have the best? AMSOIL

·
Registered
41 Posts
Amsoil is like all the other brands... they have some great products, and they have some mediocre ones. Best is relative. A quick look at PQIA test data on oil compositions of many brands and viscosities is all it takes to put a dent in marketing claims that are put forth.

Still, there is no appreciable evidence I have ever seen of Amsoil taking on a dealership or OEM over warranty. I am not saying they won't, just that I haven't seen any evidence of them doing it. Please provide if you have. I am always open to being proved wrong. My only contention is that a person, if the warranty thing is a major concern, who uses a recognized name brand oil that is common stands a better chance at arguing over a warranty issue when it comes to if the blame is on the oil. I don't have an enlarged paranoia gland, so I do not lose sleep over such things.

And given the quality of motor oils nowadays, for most folks, most any name brand of the right spec and viscosity will serve the needs of the majority of folks. Only in extreme situation will differences show up.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts