John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good synthetic oil to use in the RSX850i. I have heard that synthetic oil does not break down as bad under hot conditions. I have had great success using it in my Harley. Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Rotella makes a synthetic I used in my Can-am 4wheeler. The JD Plus 50 0W-40 that is recommended is shown to have a 100 hour change interval. I believe it is a synthetic blend.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The 0-40 JD oil is full synthetic. I use it in my RSX 1 because I work here. 2 ik how JD warranty system works. Lol other wise I really like amsoil.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The 0-40 JD oil is full synthetic. I use it in my RSX 1 because I work here. 2 ik how JD warranty system works. Lol other wise I really like amsoil.
It does not look like the 0-40 oil is that expensive especially in gallons. It sure is good for extended change intervals with a TBN of 12.8 compared to Turf Gard at around 7.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have been using 5w30 amsoil...ONLY after the Motor has been broke in ..I don't go by the mileage or hour meter..When the oil starts to turn a darker honey color ..out it comes, in with new and filter...its to cheap....You have to make sure the motor is fully Broke in before you switch to any full synthetic oil

·
Registered
242 Posts
DeereSales101...Not to be too Rude, But a full synthetic will not allow the Piston Rings to Seat properly..thus Creating problems..Its best to use a Petrolium oil for a breakin Period

·
Registered
709 Posts
My Apologies....it's shipped with a break in oil. So after 8 hours of use, you are recommended to change the oil. After that 8 hours you are to use Full Synthetic.

Engine Oil..............John Deere 0W40 Plus 50 II Synthetic

Right from the operators manual.

·
Registered
242 Posts
8 hrs. run time is actually not a realistic number...The dealer installs Breakin oils..such as Zinc which is Highly important...don't really know if they use this...I hope they did with mine!!!...An actuall would to be is change the oil 2 or 3 hrs after startup, run a Petrolium for 8 hrs. change it again..run Petrolium for another 8 hrs. change to synthetic at this Time

·
Registered
709 Posts
The dealer doesnt install anything. It comes from the factory with oil in it. AFTER 8 hours (according to the operators manual) you change the oil and filter and replace it with synthetic.

·
Registered
483 Posts
JD even sells a break in oil called..break in oil.

·
Registered
140 Posts
That's for diesels though because they take several hundred hours of heavy WORK to get everything set properly

·
Registered
242 Posts
Gas Motors need a breakin time also..Especially if the the rings are Stainless..I doubt these motors have this

1 - 15 of 15 Posts