John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I am trying to do my first oil change on a 2018 XUV 865 diesel....where is the darn oil filter?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Lift the bed so you have light. Get down by the right rear wheel. The oil filter is "feelable" by sticking your hand through a gap. The rod in the picture shows where you need to reach. It isn't fun. You'll need an end cap filter wrench. Just wait for fuel filter time. That is even more fun. Some oil filters are too long to get back in and have clearance for the 1/2" socket drive. I use the Mobil 1 M1-108A filters. You'll need a 65-68mm cap wrench. Make sure the cap wrench will actually grab. They tend not to grab as much as I'd like. Check out a Lisle 63600 Oil Filter Removal Tool. Gives a bit more clearance. Hopefully a gorilla didn't install the OEM filter.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My JD tech manual talks about shutting the fuel valve off, removing the fuel lines, unscrewing the assembly from the bracket, and then you can go on from there with channel locks. If you're interested in the manual, contact Cattleboy or they have them on ebay for $90. Essential resource for getting stuff done on these things. The other way involves tapping the bowl ring with a hammer and screwdriver. The bowl drops and you have to do contortions to get the filter out, replace, and then use needle nose pliers to retrieve the bowl. JD way is better. I use hemostats to clamp off the fuel lines. Plugs work better though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got 3 gators and 3 JD mowers all have the same style filter, one I've found it easier to unbolt. All have a shutoff but one I can't move, believe the only one below the tank is the TH, couple have pump primers either mechanical or electrical. I use a varying sizes of channel locks on the ring but was thinking some type of small spanner wrench would work, maybe with a 3/8 square drive. I have a service manual on the HPX.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I use the Mobil 1 M1-108A filters. You'll need a 65-68mm cap wrench. Make sure the cap wrench will actually grab. They tend not to grab as much as I'd like. Check out a Lisle 63600 Oil Filter Removal Tool.
Curious which portion of the dual sized cap wrench is being used for this filter. Is it 65mm or 68mm?

Just sharing my experience in the event it helps... Application: 855D (diesel motor) and JD oil filter. During the first oil change I was forced to use a 65mm wrench as it was the smallest I could find after visiting 4 different auto stores. The fit was a bit loose, so used tape on the inside of the cap wrench to take up the space and improve the fit with the filter. Otherwise the tight filter would slip in the wrench. The correct size is a 64mm for this application, which is a difficult size to find. Walmart was the only place that carried a 64mm cap wrench. I am not suggesting this is the size needed for the M1-108A filter mentioned above.

64 Filter Wrench

·
Registered
223 Posts
The 65-68 is a tapered cap which means it sits deepest on the small end. It also has a tendency to pop off. With the tight space, I just use the Lisle tool. I really grabs the filter around the body well. Never slips and a bit more easy to get the socket head on.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The 65-68 is a tapered cap which means it sits deepest on the small end. It also has a tendency to pop off. With the tight space, I just use the Lisle tool. I really grabs the filter around the body well. Never slips and a bit more easy to get the socket head on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts