John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I’m a newbie here and might not be using the correct vocabulary to describe the issue. So apologies and thanks in advance.
I have had an old - I think 1994 - Gator 4x2 for a long time. It has run well until now. It started dying and/or failing to start at random times. At first it happened every couple weeks, but now cannot be depended on to stay running for even short runs. I replaced the fuel filter, but that didn’t help. One JD tech suggested opening the fuel tank slightly in case it was a vacuum. That didn’t help Either. Once it dies, if I let it sit for a while, it will usually start, but it dies after driving a short distance.
Can I use a carburetor cleaner gas additive? What’s my next move?

·
Registered
152 Posts
remove spark plug, see if its firing. make sure air filter and intake is clear. My next stop would be removing, cleaning/ replacing the carburetor. also check your ignition switch too, and make sure that's ok.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Pretty sure you've got a fuel problem. First thing I'd do is drop the bowl on the carb and make sure the float and needle valve are free. Clean out any gunk you find in the bowl. Check fuel flow from the pump. Let us know after that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also check the gas tank for water, had a boat that did exact same thing. Depending on how much water & how level you are at the time it will start but as soon as you move so does the water at the bottom of the tank. Very difficult to see in black tanks, usually best to drain into clear container & then also check inside of tank with a light. Oh, and don't use a match! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments. I pulled the sparkplug and it had gas and oil on the bottom quarter inch ...so I am not hopeful. I am not that good that I can do any more, so I am taking it to a shop to see if there is any hope. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts