John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 825i gator and I am going to change the oil and I am going with SAE 10W40 should I get the jd oil that they sell or go to a auto store and get a off brand ??

Mike00

·
Registered
709 Posts
Any good reputable oil is fine. The JD oil is formulated for smaller engines tho AND you are going to be getting a JD Oil Filter (you should ALWAYS run a JD filter) and the JD oil isn't any more expensive than any other.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If your dealer is close by just get the JD oil and filter. Saves having to worry about it and asking oil questions on the internet. Use 10/30. No 10/40.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wow, pretty snarky response there xcopterdoc. I blame my self for not providing the tougher questions to challange your gator knowledge but I hope you realize how valuable the information you share is to the less experienced gator owners or maybe that crappy winter you're going through is starting to wear you down. Hang in there, I'm sure I'll come up with another challange for you. Or is it that Ginn is leaving the Panthers to go to the Cardinals got you all spun up??:)
maybe this will help; I installed a new coolant temp switch a few weeks ago, then when I was installing the new oil pressure switch I leaned up and snapped that electrical nipple off the coolant switch. Funny how one little thing will ruin your day:(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mike listen to Deeresales 101............I myself work in the service department for a JD dealer for the last 16 years and get asked that very same question at least 3-4 times a week. The only JD oil I do push is the JD HyGuard (hydraulic oil) because I know first hand what other oils can and will do to 30-40,000.00 trannys. Engine oil is critical but as long as you use a good quality oil you should be fine.....but please don't skimp on your filters....the JD filters are made to different standards than others. And FYI..........good question.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks motorhead6509 for you answer about the oil

2012 gator 825i camo, non scratch window, back panel,
Curtis fast cast 550 spreader, Roof
---------------mike00

·
Registered
483 Posts
I will run the factory brand oil / filter in the near term for warranty reasons. No need to add confusion if there was an engine related issue.

The JD oil/filter is not that expensive and easy to get at Lowes/HD if your dealer is not that close especially since it just uses 2 quarts.

I plan to section the factory installed filter (not JD brand but a far east brand) and a JD filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts