John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks,
I have a 1995 HPX that did not have the OPS option on it. If memory serves, only the field green “sportsman” version had the ops. Anywho, I was able to locate the correct OPS for it, and am in the process of mounting it up. My local dealer set me up with what appears to be all of the mounting hardware according to the parts diagram. I have however run into a couple of snags.
1) The front mounting bolts and plates thread into the OPS fine, but appear to be too long. According to the dealer, they are the correct part per diagram, so I’m guessing it’s an arrangement thing.
2) How in the heck do you get the tap in position to accept the rear mounting bolts?

I’m trying to avoid disassembly to the bare frame, and even at that, the plastic shielding behind the seats still has to go back on. Perplexing.

Can anyone with a HPX from around this timeline share a few detailed pictures of how their’s was factory installed? Pics under the fender where it attaches to the frame showing the bolt, plates arranged, as well as how the bolts, washers/spacers are organized on the rear would be incredibly helpful.
The diagram doesn’t show enough to discern the order or process.

Thanks in Advance,
Tim

·
Administrator
3,772 Posts
Hi folks,
I have a 1995 HPX that did not have the OPS option on it. If memory serves, only the field green “sportsman” version had the ops. Anywho, I was able to locate the correct OPS for it, and am in the process of mounting it up. My local dealer set me up with what appears to be all of the mounting hardware according to the parts diagram. I have however run into a couple of snags.
1) The front mounting bolts and plates thread into the OPS fine, but appear to be too long. According to the dealer, they are the correct part per diagram, so I’m guessing it’s an arrangement thing.
2) How in the heck do you get the tap in position to accept the rear mounting bolts?

I’m trying to avoid disassembly to the bare frame, and even at that, the plastic shielding behind the seats still has to go back on. Perplexing.

Can anyone with a HPX from around this timeline share a few detailed pictures of how their’s was factory installed? Pics under the fender where it attaches to the frame showing the bolt, plates arranged, as well as how the bolts, washers/spacers are organized on the rear would be incredibly helpful.
The diagram doesn’t show enough to discern the order or process.

Thanks in Advance,
Tim
Did your dealer provide you with a set of instructions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update. I was able to find a PDF from JD of the removal and install of a replacement, so the order of items has been solved. Partial issue is the front bolts that were provided are longer than the proper M16-80 the diagram calls for. The rear mounting however is still a problem. I have the order now, but have no idea how I am to get to the inside of the box frame to apply the locknut to the bolt, without discarding the factory plastic shield that runs across the area behind the seats.
Thanks again,
Tim

·
Administrator
3,772 Posts
Uhhh, nope.
It may take some research on your end, however if you go Deere Tech Publications you might be able find some instruction under the Choose Publication drop down.

You may have to look up what the OPS parts you have (came off) off vs. your HPX ?

·
Administrator
3,772 Posts
Update. I was able to find a PDF from JD of the removal and install of a replacement, so the order of items has been solved. Partial issue is the front bolts that were provided are longer than the proper M16-80 the diagram calls for. The rear mounting however is still a problem. I have the order now, but have no idea how I am to get to the inside of the box frame to apply the locknut to the bolt, without discarding the factory plastic shield that runs across the area behind the seats.
Thanks again,
Tim
Im not sure if this helps ? There is a panel attachment that fits over the OPS frame ?

https://techpubs.deere.com/eef88dae-dad1-4b17-bc72-fe724457df19

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update #2
So, while looking over the service PDF I found for replacement, it appears that units that came WITH the OPS factory installed have a cutout in the area covering the box frame, that allows pretty easy access to the lock nut. That, or a cut is necessary to do a replacement of it. I would dearly love to not have to cut this one.
Appreciate it,
Tim

·
Registered
384 Posts
Update #2
So, while looking over the service PDF I found for replacement, it appears that units that came WITH the OPS factory installed have a cutout in the area covering the box frame, that allows pretty easy access to the lock nut. That, or a cut is necessary to do a replacement of it. I would dearly love to not have to cut this one.
Appreciate it,
Tim
Consider using expansion bolts for hollow metal sections.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well,
I appreciate the suggestions. It’s mounted. I ended up drilling 4 very small pilot holes in the plastic cover, just in front of the box frame. Then I just carefully connected 3 sides with a utility knife to basically make a flap. The material is thick enough, that it sprang back into place after everything was tightened down. I can leave it as is, or find some plastic weld, and seal it back up. It’s hidden behind the seat anyways. I just wanted a way to keep mice or other things from getting inside the boxed frame rail. She’s on it now!
Now onward to dyeing the faded seat belts, and begin the search for a lid, and windshield.

·
Administrator
3,772 Posts
Reactions: 711gator
1 - 13 of 13 Posts