John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing the engine oil and filter. Rerouted the gas tank vent line as well to the lower roll cage where the other vent lines are located. Anything else I'm missing?

I can't believe how low the gas vent line was.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I would reroute the front and rear diff lines while you are at it. If there is anymore vent lines hopefully someone will chime in. Did you check you're about filter?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Off-Road Forums mobile app

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did check the air filter. It is immaculately clean. Not surprising considering both times I really rode it (other than around the house) there had been recent rain therefore keeping all dust down to a minimum.

Where are the diff lines at currently? I'll take a look tomorrow as I still have the machine apart after working on the shift linkage.

I got a great deal on my sport model but am a little upset that I didn't wait after seeing the midnight special they released exactly one week later. Just saw a pic tonight. Good looking machine with all the features I wanted from the sport and trail models wrapped nicely in a black package.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also picked up some 28" maxxis zillas yesterday. Plan to get them mounted tomorrow and get the machine back together for a ride Friday night.

Hoping they fit with little to no shock adjustment as it rides like a Cadillac currently.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sounds like you got it all. I just did my first maintenance and the only advice I have is to watch the oil level and not to overfill.

Let us know how the Zillas work out for you and whether or not you have to make any shock adjustments. Know what you mean about the black wrapper. Mine is the black & camo but would have loved the midnight special.

Funny you should mention it riding like a Cadillac (which it does). The first time I went to a local trail park the owner looked at mine and called it "a Cadillac on steroids". He'd not seen one before.

Good luck.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, I'm not sure if my oil level wasn't low from the factory as I've added over three quarts and was still low according to the indicator on the stick. BUT I did measure what I got out of the machine and it was a little over 3 quarts which is more than what most are reporting here. I did let it drain for several minutes while doing other things and had it on a Jack, raising/lowering it until there was no more oil draining out. That could have been a contributing factor as well..

The 28" zillas seem to fit like a charm with no adjustments after a short ride around the neighborhood power line. I have way too much air in them from being mounted. They rattle the doors, my teeth, for etc. lol. I know it's the air as there is no squat or flex even when hitting the curb. I have the same exact tire on my Honda Rancher and run them with very little pressure as they ride better and seem to perform Better at lower pressures. Just worried about losing a bead on the gator w low pressure.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only thing keeping me sane about the midnight special is I doubt there was as good of a deal to be had as I got on my machine.

Also minus the accessories, there really nothing special about the machine minus the hood. The coloring can be achieved after removing the stickers off my green/yellow. At least that's what I keep telling myself. Lol

·
Registered
242 Posts
Man I am telling you,, I dont really know how many stupid stickers I removed..825i/epi/bed lifting/and so on,, just a lot of B.S. stickers...They could probably save a lot of Money by not putting on those Stupid Sticker you have to take off with Brake Clean

·
Registered
140 Posts
I got olive with black rims. So easy to black out and make midnight. Mines been that way for 6 months. As soon as the hood is available through parts it will be even eisier to convert

1 - 9 of 9 Posts