John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a 09 850D for almost 2 years. The thing Bangs & Clangs at idle like nobody's business, until the other day. I ran it under the barn, jumped out, THEN realized I almost could not hear it running. It sounded like the muffler was actually doing it's job. It sounded GREAT, BUT not normal so it had me concerned. It is progressively getting worst. By worst I mean yesterday it had no stall in the clutch at idle at all. Unit was moving under power backward & forward while at idle.

I'm watching it like a hawk at this point & have done a lot of searching/reading SO now I'm totally confused as to what clutch might be the issue and what I need to do.

Current symptoms are : More time than not seems to be working fine.
1) At idle the sound level seems normal (loud as he**) to moderate (less than normal) BUT is fluctuating back & forth.
2) At idle in neutral the transaxle clutch freewheels, in drive it does not move but has slight, small jerks.
3) Only the one time (so far) did it want to move in gear at idle & had a no stall condition.
4) When coasting in gear I can hear the clutch (which one??) release & work correctly , & once stopped in gear is when the sound level will fluctuate from loud to moderate. It's only gone quite 2 or 3 times.

So I am thinking the transaxle clutch (secondary) is the issue?
Is there any adjustment to try ??
Any place to clean/lube to help free it up ??
Best price on the transaxle clutch I can find $250 is there a better price to be had ?? ( DOC cannot rework this model yet :( )
Will I need a puller/bolt for it's removal ?
Any input would be appreciated :)

·
Super Moderator
2,692 Posts
You can clean your clutches by using compressed air, blowing the primary (drive) clutch and secondary (driven) clutch.
The drive clutch is mounted on the engine while the driven is mounted on rear or transaxle.
It sounds like the engagement is out of whack, in the drive clutch.
There are several things that could be going on. There really is very little adjustment to the driven clutch other than changing the helix. The majority of adjustment is on the drive clutch. You will need a puller to remove the drive clutch. If you are not comfortable pulling the clutches, take it to a dealer.
In my opinion you need to take off both clutches, clean them really good (see you tube for videos) reinstall and see where you are at.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brad: I think that's where I'm at :( I'll pick up a puller/bolt & throw them on the bench. At $450 for the primary I'll need to spent a little time before I pop for that :eek: I just hope a good cleaning will last a good while. It seems to be doing fine since the day is was not.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
2,692 Posts
Thanks Brad: I think that's where I'm at :( I'll pick up a puller/bolt & throw them on the bench. At $450 for the primary I'll need to spent a little time before I pop for that :eek: I just hope a good cleaning will last a good while. It seems to be doing fine since the day is was not.:rolleyes:
You are welcome..I'm hopeful whatever was "clanging and banging" corrected itself ?

I have a couple theories...but let's see what happens.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are welcome..I'm hopeful whatever was "clanging and banging" corrected itself ?

I have a couple theories...but let's see what happens.
That is how it has sounded as long as I owned it (2 years) 1200 hrs. It was only recently that is sounded quite & THAT's WHEN my troubles began :D It is a 850D so I thought the Yanmar was just being a diesel :confused: They do sound a little diff than the gassers :D :rolleyes: I wish I knew more of what I was looking for BUT maybe something will jump out at me once I get them off :D

·
Super Moderator
2,692 Posts
Look for "wobbly" weights on the spider arms, missing bushings on the pins, buttons that are missing, cracked or broken also on the arms and finally a " gremlin" that is wreaking havoc. I understand there is a bounty on those guys....

·
Registered
846 Posts
Why not remove the belt and let it idle to see if the noise is still there or not. This might help isolate if it is the primary or secondary.

Some folks have had success removing the clutch using water and Teflon tape. The water hydraulically pushes the clutch off. There are plenty of videos on the web showing how it is done on snowmobiles. (They are a bit easier to tip so the water stays in the blind hole.

General steps:
1. Remove clutch bolt
2. Tip gator so water will stay in thread hole
3. Use sealing tape to seal bolt thread (Seems like you need to use a lot to get threads to seal)
4. Crank on bolt until clutch is pushed off

I have not tried this personally.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why not remove the belt and let it idle to see if the noise is still there or not. This might help isolate if it is the primary or secondary.

Some folks have had success removing the clutch using water and Teflon tape. The water hydraulically pushes the clutch off. There are plenty of videos on the web showing how it is done on snowmobiles. (They are a bit easier to tip so the water stays in the blind hole.

General steps:
1. Remove clutch bolt
2. Tip gator so water will stay in thread hole
3. Use sealing tape to seal bolt thread (Seems like you need to use a lot to get threads to seal)
4. Crank on bolt until clutch is pushed off

I have not tried this personally.
THAT's a pretty big TIP:eek::eek: I might see if I can find a solid rod to screw down on.. Thanks
From the comments so far I take it that a 850D is not supposed to "Bang & Clang" at idle ? The funny think is, I never had any trouble till it went quite for the 1st time in 2 years (the gator is used every day). :D:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looking forward to see what you come up for a solution. My 850d does the same with the clanging plus binds when trying to accelerate forward and reverse from a stop. I have found that the clanging is likely due to a worn bushing that allows the bell cover to rattle. If I try to manually slide the the primary clutch on the shaft it will bind if the pressure is off to one side ever so slightly. I’m looking for a replacement primary other than going to the dealer. Here in Canada $1000 plus....Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts