John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gator rsx 850i trail.this is rather long, please forgive me. I really need info. As there is no info of this machine on internet.
2 rides ago I was in a mud hole trying to get up on the bank to get out. I kept bottoming out on the bank with the belly before front wheels touched. It finally got one front wheel on the bank. It hit rather hard and popped but still worked. The next ride I went on I could hear a loud pop while regular riding below my feet. It was not continuous. It was every now and then. Whether locked in or not. Well I got in another hole. Locked it in to get out and it was popping loud. It sounded like it was not locking in all the way. So I backed back out and locked it in on dry ground. It finally stopped popping and took gear. But now after checking it out it is lightly popping and vibrating and skipping kinda. Backwards or forwards. Locked or unlocked. I put it on jack stands for further testing. It turns smooth and free by hand and with engine running. So I applied brake to put pressure on wheel. Judging by sound and only looking at tire it was lightly popping, skipping, and vibrating. Can anybody give me some shared knowledge or possibilities of the problem?

·
Registered
709 Posts
It sounds like its coming from your front diff. I am not sure there is really anyway to inspect it. Have you talked to your dealer? Is it still under Warranty?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. Talked to them today. Mechanic said that if I can hear it enough to tell which wheel is making noise, then chances are it's not the diff. He thought it would be the cv joints. And probly the one at the wheel. Today I drove it in circles with and with out 4x4. I heard it pop at that wheel a couple times. Also noticed the swing arm shoulder bolts looked loose. The whole swing arm was sliding side to side. I could see shoulder on the bolts anyway

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good call deeresales101. It is the front differential. I drained milky fluid and gears out of it over the weekend. I put it back up on stands and it got worse and worse to ear. The good news is now I know. The bad news is now I have to pay. The news still at question now is how did it get full of water after 2 rides? What failed to let the waster in to start with? I checked all fluids before I went on those 2 rides and I know I tightened the fill screw back tight.

·
Registered
242 Posts
How deep have you had it in water

·
Registered
242 Posts
I went through mine and installed breeze bands on all of my hoses... plus the breather tube we at the top of the fire wall

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has been ankle deep at worst in floor board. I had installed a snorkle and ran th vent lines thru roll cage tube.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have read where front diff breather tube gets hot expands where the hose attaches and water gets in

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder if I could somehow clamp it tighter? Hose clamp or something? Maybe even replace the hose all together?

·
Registered
242 Posts
That's what I did to all of my hose connections... clamped all of them

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I have finally got my gator fixed. Front diff was bad. I put steel hose clamps around the vent tubes at both front and rear chunks. And tightened the heck out of them. I was wondering now, if by doing this: #1. Is the vent tube fitting at the chunks plastic or metal? #2. Why they don't have clamps of some sort on them? #3. If it is plastic will the hose clamp deform the fitting and allow water to come in? I have ran the vent tube up the roll cage tube. I will be checking fluid after every ride from now on. Would suggest you all do the same. It is rather expensive to replace. And I had just checked it 2 rides before the damage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts