John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RSX 850I I don't really understand the clutch system but when I go down hill the compression helps to slow down, then invariably it pops into neutral and I start to rocket down hill.:eek: I was told to tap the accelerator to get it to go back into compression slow down. That works for about 1/2 second and pops back into neutral and the rocket ride starts . Does this need an adjustment? Also, the gas peddle is not smooth, I barely touch it and it jumps like a racehorse at the gate...Adjustment? :mad:

·
Registered
40 Posts
The clutch engages at approx. 2000 rpm. You will have to keep the engine above this to keep the clutch engaged for engine braking. The 850 engine is a racing engine so it is going to be pretty quick off the line. The clutch is not jumping when you take off is it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pops into neutral

The clutch is not jumping when I start to go. I have very steep and rocky hills ( some areas 50 degrees) and I go down slow so I am probably under 2000 rpm . I need the compression to help slow this rocket down. I just don't get it. Even on my driveway slope which is asphalt, maybe 15 degrees ,sometimes it pops into neutral or whatever the term is. :confused:Can you adjust it to keep it in compression mode? My Yamaha Rhino worked great. I miss my Rhino :( Thx I appreciate the response. Jim

·
Registered
40 Posts
The clutch is not readily adjustable. There are some aftermarket spring kits out there but I haven't used any of them to tell you what they will do. I think they raise engagement rpm (not what you need). The only other solution is just keep your foot on the gas a little (2000 rpm) and it will still hold back. That's what I do.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hill descending

I have the 825i...Not sure if we have the same set up...try this...when descending steep declines you will need to keep your foot on the accelerator and maintain a certain RPM or speed...on mine it’s just above 2 mph...if I do this the clutch will maintain “engaged” and you have pretty good engine brake...also I found that by descending the real steep stuff using low range worked a bit better....give this a shot and thought I don’t normally recommend “two foot driving”...for this purpose keep your left foot over that brake to be ready to catch it, in case you do freewheel... Also descend straight down your steep hills, if you disengage and suddenly re-engages, it’s like slamming on the brakes.....so use caution....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx for the post. I guess I will have to live with it. It makes no sense to me but its a little late to not buy it. I like everything else about the 850i... except that I bought it in April thinking I was buying a 2014, even the sale paperwork stated that it was built in 2014 when I got the certificate of ownership it states it is a 2013. ?? I guess the 2014's don't come out until later this year. Not happy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts