John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
620i Gator won't start correctly. I can get it running by jumping the solenoid. I've tested the following: Starter, solenoid, brake safety switch, neutral safety switch, and ignition/ key switch. They all work properly. But there is still no power getting to the solenoid small wire that comes from the key switch.

Has anyone had this problem before? Is there another relay I'm missing? I'm thinking it's either that or a broken wire coming from the ignition.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
If the small wire from the switch to the solenoid is suspect a simple continuity test would quickly ID if the wire is ok or not.

Since you've tested a number of electrical components, I'll assume you're handy with a volt meter.

The workshop manual has good electrical schematics and theory of operation to better understand how everything works. Well worth it if you plan on doing your own repairs.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have simular problem with my gator. I have a question, when you jump starter to get it to start does it idle high??? Mine does and it idled fine before

·
Registered
426 Posts
High idle is simply a sign of something not being right.
Very well related to the original issue.

Fix the problem before you draw conclusions on that.
It could be that with the starter jumped the electrical circuits still dont work including alternator which causes it to run more freely.

Check wire to the solenoid, relays etc.
In my experience these things are best left to the jd mechanic or somebody with decent experience of electrics as it tends to be a simple fix but its hard when you dont know the wiring.

Edit: take a testlight and start from the starter back.
Test the starter activation connector, trace the wire down to the dash, check at dash, check relay, check switch etc.
The wire tends to be a purple color on most models.
Acc i believe is yellow

·
Registered
140 Posts
Did you check the neutral start relay. the power goes through it to power solenoid wire .Also check that the red wire is powering the neutral start relay.If no power make sure fuse is ok or voltage through fuse connections.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I have a 1998 diesel Gator I am having some electrical problems, I have the first page of the electrical drawing but can not find the second page does any one have a copy.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi I have a 1998 diesel Gator I am having some electrical problems, I have the first page of the electrical drawing but can not find the second page does any one have a copy.
Make a new thread so we can help you better.
I see you posted in another thread over a year ago but i do not know if the problem is related?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts