John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 850d 4wd diesel I use around my house and it's real hard to turn and I am just talking about in 2wd; I rarely have to use 4wd. I now bought another used Gator, a 2008 Gator TX to use at my woodlot, it is 2wd and has a gas engine and, wow, it is effortless to turn! I thought it might be power steering but the manual says rack and pinion. Also, the turning radius is FAR less than with my 850d. Helps in the woods, for sure! Can one retrofit a 2009 850d with power steering and, if so, any ballpark idea of price? Is it common for the 850d to be hard to turn?

·
Super Moderator
2,659 Posts
Yes you can add a aftermarket Power Steering kit to your 850d.

If you go to the Team Fas Motorsports link below, you will find the kit. Be sure to use the discount code they offer to John Deere Gator owners.

I purchased this kit for my 825 and have had zero problems with the kit.

The toughest part of the installation will likely be removing the steering wheel.

Make sure you have a good set of pullers for this. Also use the search function here on this forum, others have provided instructions on their steering wheel removal.

http://teamfasmotorsports-com.3dcartstores.com/Gator-Powersteering-Kit_p_84.html

You may want to jack up the front end to test the steering while the Gator is lifted off the ground, also inspect the rack and pinion for any damage.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it normal for 850d to be real hard to turn? Has been like that ever since I bought it used with 790 hours, I think it was.

Also, I make real wide, sweeping turns using it on my lawn, otherwise, the rear tire will tear up my lawn. I think it is rear right. I have the knobby tires that I see on Gators, they are not less aggressive lawn-friendly tires. Always wondered if this tearing-up-the-lawn is 'normal,' as well.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Is it normal for 850d to be real hard to turn? Has been like that ever since I bought it used with 790 hours, I think it was.

Also, I make real wide, sweeping turns using it on my lawn, otherwise, the rear tire will tear up my lawn. I think it is rear right. I have the knobby tires that I see on Gators, they are not less aggressive lawn-friendly tires. Always wondered if this tearing-up-the-lawn is 'normal,' as well.
I have a 855D which is very similar and it is not hard to turn without PS when moving. When stationary it is more difficult due to friction between tire and ground.

Tearing up the lawn... Is the differential lock engaged? What about 4x4?

What does it turn like with the front tires off the ground? If high you should be investigating the linkages and all joints for damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts