John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. We have a JD850D that the JD shop put on a power steering that is for a 825I has worked great till now. Now When I go down the road the red light stays on and in is Hard steering Tail the fan comes on then the red light will go off and steering is OK but is soon as the fan goes off the light comes back on any help you can give me thanks Steve

·
Administrator
3,821 Posts
Hi. We have a JD850D that the JD shop put on a power steering that is for a 825I has worked great till now. Now When I go down the road the red light stays on and in is Hard steering Tail the fan comes on then the red light will go off and steering is OK but is soon as the fan goes off the light comes back on any help you can give me thanks Steve
This sounds like you have a short. Check the wiring to the fan and the power steering unit.

Reactions: Dave Jr

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Administrator
3,821 Posts
???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have looked at the wiring and don’t see any thing wrong. I don’t understand why when it first starts up it works and light goes out then it will stop working and then when the fan goes on the light goes out and it works . I need to put a new alternator belt on but it’s not slipping as it was and I adjusted it.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Keep in mind the electrical connectors are typically not weather proof and their ability to conduct diminishes over time. PS and Fan both consume a high amount of current compared to other circuits.

I’d use a voltage drop test to see if the suspect wire/connector junction has the ability to carry the necessary both on the - & + sides. I’d even check the fuse holders as they have been known to corrode or provide lackluster continuity.

A wiring diagram could help understand what circuits are in play.

It does sound like the ground side is suspect.

Continuity is not enough to ensure a circuit can carry the load hence the need to do a voltage drop test to rule out the wiring.

·
Administrator
3,821 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts