John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2014 Gator 825i last spring with 200 hours, near mint condition. It came with a powertach hydraulic plow which I’ve used several times now for Michigan snow plowing.

I’ve noticed that lifting the blade with the joystick is somewhat slow. Left and right are relatively quick. The blade is heavy (with front springs at max setting quite a bit of front sag when blade is raised). I have around 500 lbs of tube sand ballast in the bed.

Is the slow lift speed typical for Powertach. Battery voltage is fine, and I keep the machine on a trickle charger. Starts right up, lights and heater with blower work great.

Looking for feedback from other Powertach users.

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
1,050 Posts
Lift is usually the slowest motion since it's really the only movement doing much work (lifting the weight of the blade). All the other movements like angling the blade and lowering it don't require much power.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lift is usually the slowest motion since it's really the only movement doing much work (lifting the weight of the blade). All the other movements like angling the blade and lowering it don't require much power.
i understand this, but of course that would be a design consideration. Are the lift hydraulics underpowered or is the electrical system inadequate (battery amperage, alternator output, wire gauge).

How does an all hydraulic Boss plow lift compare to Powertach Plow? I believe the Boss V plow is much heavier than the Powertach plow.

I‘ve watch videos of winch lift plows and they appear to be twice as quick as my Powertach hydraulic.

it’s a consideration when stacking when you’re trying to lift the blade while moving forward.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i understand this, but of course that would be a design consideration. Are the lift hydraulics underpowered or is the electrical system inadequate (battery amperage, alternator output, wire gauge).

How does an all hydraulic Boss plow lift compare to Powertach Plow? I believe the Boss V plow is much heavier than the Powertach plow.

I‘ve watch videos of winch lift plows and they appear to be twice as quick as my Powertach hydraulic.

it’s a consideration when stacking when you’re trying to lift the blade while moving forward.
I have the Boss V plow and it rockets up and down and side to side. As it should.

·
*In memory and respect- RIP*
4,319 Posts
Thanks, this is not mine but it behaves identically, watch the lift speed at the end of the clip vs. the side to side and down responsiveness:

I too have this model of Plowtach Blade on my 825 and yes it is slow lifting

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Resurrecting this thread. I found an addendum trouble shooting guide for my 72” hydraulic powertach plow. See attached image, has anybody removed the referenced .060 orifice and if so, what were the results?

Font Parallel Paper Paper product Document

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Thanks for being proactive and posting what you found. I'm certain it will help others in the future.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I too have suffered with the slow lift. I tried removing the orofice as suggested and didn't notice any difference so I put it back in.
Ugh! Thanks for posting, you saved me the hassle. When it warms up a bit tomorrow I’m going to measure voltage drop and current draw for raise, lower, left and right (engine running w/alternator of course). Mine also trips the 40 amp thermal breaker too. I replaced it last summer, still trips occasionally. It’s really a nice plow set up but these 2 nuisances are a bummer.

i wonder how Boss plows raise hydraulics so quick, their V blade is heavier than this powertach straight blade. Higher capacity pump, higher gauge wire harness so less voltage drop from battery to pump?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts