John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, gonna see if there's actually anybody reading any of these.

Monday, I bought a 1999 Gator 4x2 with problems for the sum of $500. Main problem was engine would go to proper rpm, but machine would barely be moving. It didn't take a lot of troubleshooting to figure out the primary clutch sounded like a container of marbles when you twisted it back and forth with engine shut off. Sounded like that because it was a container of busted parts!

Ordered a replacement from "Mississippi Engine Company" for the sum of $312.99 delivered. Genuine JD part, same as my local JD dealer asked me $489. for. Came in two days later on Fed Ex ground.

Next was the John Deere specialty puller bolt that you "MUST" have to remove the old clutch,,,,,,,,,,,,, bull shizzle. Found a section of 5/16 dia grade 5 bolt that I cut to fit, stuck in the end of flywheel, and took a (I believe) 9/16 fine thread bolt that fit the threads inside the clutch. Zapped it off with an impact wrench, replaced it with the new one and zapped it back tight. Couldn't find proper torque specs so I settled for TIGHT!

RUNS GREAT!!!

Bob

·
Registered
46 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the fantastic deal!!! Glad you were able to manufacture the puller!

- Steve in fiery CO :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This was a grounds maintenance machine for a local community college. Has a TON of hours @ 3,600+. Engine has a wristpin/valve ? rattle, but Overall condition is great.

The tool is simple enough once one has an idea of how it works.

Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same issue out of a 2000 model. How involved is the clutch install? I'm debating whether I want to tackle it or let a local atv mechanic do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts