John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the group so please be patient..I have a sound I want you to hear but I can't rip it from video.
My son has a 2013 835i and recently the drive belt broke. After replacing it with new JD belt it started making this terrible noise and we can't determine where it's coming from, he thinks primary clutch, I think secondary.. But it hard to pinpoint. Any help or words of wisdom greatly appreciated.. Sorry forgot the hours on it. I can't attach the MP4 here but it's a really loud chunking, metal sound.
Thanks to all.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Close visual inspection of the wear points and/or damaged/missing plastic sliders that engage the helix might lead to some clues of which part it might be.

·
Administrator
4,314 Posts
Gator 825i clutch noise the video I couldn't post.. Clutch noise. Best we could get, sri
Suggest you safely place the Gator on four jacks stands, have a helper place in gear while you try to pin point the location of the noise. You may need to remove the outer CVT cover and intake for a through inspection.

Are you certain all of the old belt was removed prior to replacing the belt ?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
A mechanics stethoscope can be very helpful in pinpoint noise issues. It is somewhat amazing how a simple tool can amplify the sound so much.

Example: Stethoscope

Reactions: Bradhill

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 6x4 gator when I put it in forward or reverse it grinds horrible noise. I know the belt needs a new one. And I'm pretty sure it's the clutch that's making the noise. Question is a six before clutch the same as a 2, x4. I bought this about 4 years ago took the serial number to the John Deere dealer they couldn't tell me what year it is it is older but I'm trying to figure out what clutch I need to buy can anybody help this is a retired lady in distress haha

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
972 Posts
Deere doesn't use model years. So, they can't tell you a year.

It's probably not your clutch making the noise. It's likely the transmission grinding because the primary clutch isn't disengaging... and continues to turn the transmission... which can't mesh because the input is turning.

"Question is a six before clutch the same as a 2, x4. "
Don't understand the question. Are you referring to a part number?

In any case contact The Clutch Doctor (all over this forum). You probably should have your primary clutch tuned. This is a far better approach than getting another clutch from Deere.

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
972 Posts
Look up the parts for both machines and compare. Full diagrams and parts listings are online probably through your dealer's website or a site like Green Parts Store.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts