John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I give up....IS there an oil filter on this 4x2? It's an older model, 1998 vintage, I think they're called "Turf Gators" now.

I can't find an oil filter anywhere. The manual talks about replacing the filter on a 6x4 but not on a 4x2; certainly I don't see anything like a classic oil filter in there.

Steven in Colorado

·
Administrator
4,275 Posts
Okay, I give up....IS there an oil filter on this 4x2? It's an older model, 1998 vintage, I think they're called "Turf Gators" now.

I can't find an oil filter anywhere. The manual talks about replacing the filter on a 6x4 but not on a 4x2; certainly I don't see anything like a classic oil filter in there.

Steven in Colorado
The 4x2 does not have a filter.

Product Font Screenshot Advertising Publication

Operators Manual

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YES! That's the page I was looking at.

I guess what I expected to see were words like "the 4x2 does not have an oil filter"....the manual covers both the 4x2 and 6x4 models.

Thank you! I was trying to figure out where it might have been and blown off or something years ago....glad it's just simpler than that.

I guess one plus is that these simpler engines don't have as much to deal with....

Thank you Brad!

Steven in Colorado

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yup. It's an option.

There is a bypass plate bolted on the rear of the engine..two bolts out, plate off. There is an 8.shaped rubber seal. The filter mount comes with two new longer bolts. Bolt up, spin on filter - and good to go.

Very easy install.

I just did in on mine. About $60.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup. It's an option.

There is a bypass plate bolted on the rear of the engine..two bolts out, plate off. There is an 8.shaped rubber seal. The filter mount comes with two new longer bolts. Bolt up, spin on filter - and good to go.

Very easy install.

I just did in on mine. About $60.
Thank you! I'll definitely be looking at it....seems like an option I might want given the dusty roads around here.

Steven in Colorado

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How fast is a old 2003 turf gator ? Mine is very slow going up any hills it keeps going but I have had the passenger get and walk
You're NOT alone....very slow. Maybe 10mph?

Once I took a look at the engine (doing all this work) that kinda makes sense. The engine in it is only slightly larger than a typical riding mower engine.

My wyfe tells the tale often of being "lapped by a butterfly" while she was driving up the canyon one day.....

Steven in Colorado

·
Registered
3 Posts
You're NOT alone....very slow. Maybe 10mph?

Once I took a look at the engine (doing all this work) that kinda makes sense. The engine in it is only slightly larger than a typical riding mower engine.

My wyfe tells the tale often of being "lapped by a butterfly" while she was driving up the canyon one day.....

Steven in Colorado
Made me laugh. Thanks. Lapped by a butterfly !!! Also thanks for letting me know, I was going to spend money on a clutch repair. But speed is my only complaint. Have a great day. Take care

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Try putting on a new belt. It might be all you need for more speed - and if not - you have a spare belt..
This is on one of the older Gators (they're called Turf Gators I believe)...I never got it faster than about 10mph. Should it be faster? The belt looks well enough, don't know if it's original or not though at a glance.

Steven in Colorado

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is on one of the older Gators (they're called Turf Gators I believe)...I never got it faster than about 10mph. Should it be faster? The belt looks well enough, don't know if it's original or not though at a glance.

Steven in Colorado
Mine is mfg 1994 with the FE290 engine. On pavement with proper tire inflation it goes about 19 mph. When the belt wore out (the original I believe) it lost top speed and took longer tonget up to speed.

It requires no tools and takes under a minute to change - so there' s no downside to trying....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine is mfg 1994 with the FE290 engine. On pavement with proper tire inflation it goes about 19 mph. When the belt wore out (the original I believe) it lost top speed and took longer tonget up to speed.

It requires no tools and takes under a minute to change - so there' s no downside to trying....
I'll have to check my engine; I suppose if that's the original belt maybe it's loose/slipping?

Steven in Colorado

·
Administrator
4,275 Posts
How fast is a old 2003 turf gator ? Mine is very slow going up any hills it keeps going but I have had the passenger get and walk
Low gear ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks I'll try it 5-7 mph is all I can get at this time

I only have 1 forward gear,
That's exactly the same as mine...there are two gears, forward and reverse. I seem to get a smidge more speed though, at least.

Having successfully replaced my clutch oil seal I took the Gator out a bit this afternoon. I felt it MIGHT be a smidgen faster, maybe? There's an odd vibration when the Gator gets under "load" from the front that I have no idea what that might be (there's hardly anything under the hood really), but I'll figure that out.

On a previous poster's suggestion I'm probably going to get a new belt. I have no idea how old this one is and of course it's hard to tell how "high up" it rides while I'm driving, but as the previous poster suggested it's an easy (potential) fix.

Steven in Colorado

1 - 19 of 19 Posts