John Deere Gator Forums banner

(Probably) Dumb Question About My 4x2

3K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Ferretman 
#1 ·
Okay, I give up....IS there an oil filter on this 4x2? It's an older model, 1998 vintage, I think they're called "Turf Gators" now.

I can't find an oil filter anywhere. The manual talks about replacing the filter on a 6x4 but not on a 4x2; certainly I don't see anything like a classic oil filter in there.

Steven in Colorado

#2 ·
The 4x2 does not have a filter.

Product Font Screenshot Advertising Publication

Operators Manual

#3 ·
YES! That's the page I was looking at.

I guess what I expected to see were words like "the 4x2 does not have an oil filter"....the manual covers both the 4x2 and 6x4 models.

Thank you! I was trying to figure out where it might have been and blown off or something years ago....glad it's just simpler than that.

I guess one plus is that these simpler engines don't have as much to deal with....

Thank you Brad!

Steven in Colorado

#6 ·
Yup. It's an option.

There is a bypass plate bolted on the rear of the engine..two bolts out, plate off. There is an 8.shaped rubber seal. The filter mount comes with two new longer bolts. Bolt up, spin on filter - and good to go.

Very easy install.

I just did in on mine. About $60.

#7 ·
Yup. It's an option.

There is a bypass plate bolted on the rear of the engine..two bolts out, plate off. There is an 8.shaped rubber seal. The filter mount comes with two new longer bolts. Bolt up, spin on filter - and good to go.

Very easy install.

I just did in on mine. About $60.
Thank you! I'll definitely be looking at it....seems like an option I might want given the dusty roads around here.

Steven in Colorado

#9 ·
You're NOT alone....very slow. Maybe 10mph?

Once I took a look at the engine (doing all this work) that kinda makes sense. The engine in it is only slightly larger than a typical riding mower engine.

My wyfe tells the tale often of being "lapped by a butterfly" while she was driving up the canyon one day.....

Steven in Colorado

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.