John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a Gator gently, can’t remember the model (hx something possibly?)
Put it in drive to day and it really struggled move as if hand brake was on(it wasn’t!) and the front wheels seemed to be juddering)

·
Super Moderator
2,849 Posts
If you can respond with the model number, this would help us greatly!

·
Super Moderator
2,849 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,849 Posts
Can you determine if the parking brake if disengaged at the transaxle ?

Depending on the SN there maybe a spring at the transaxle that is bent, missing or stretched.

Also can you check the condition of the CVT belt?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is my gator but it’s not that clean at the moment. Lol.
The problem happened again today but it appears if I put it in reverse, move slightly then go forward it works??

·
Super Moderator
2,849 Posts
Is the Gator in four wheel drive?

Do you have a copy of the Operators Manual?

CVT=Continuously Variable Transmission

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just went through something exactly like this with my 620i. I suspect that your front diff is the problem.
If yours works like my 620i, then in even in 4WD the front diff should basically free-wheel unless the rear wheels are turning faster than the fronts (such as slipping in the mud), then the fronts will engage to pull you out of the mud. The problem I had is that the front was engaging when the rears are not slipping (even when 4WD was not active). Since they are geared differently, this leads to the problem you are describing..binding up feeling in the front, like the brakes are on, since the front tires are trying to turn slower than the rears.

To fix this you need to remove the front diff and take it apart to see what the problem is. It could be as simple as some dirt inside that is causing the diff to engage when it should not. That is what my problem was. After a good cleaning and some fresh gear oil it works great.
I bought a repair manual online for $20.
It is not a hard job to do. A manual will help you understand what is inside that diff and how it all works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts