John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is now called a "Turf Gator", is that correct?

Just before winter my Gator developed an oil leak...after some experimentation it seems to be coming from the gasket where the clutch comes out of the driver side of the engine. When I parked it I was able to get it into reverse gear VERY slowly, but it wouldn't move in forward....I'm pretty sure the belt is soaked with oil.

At any rate now that we have warm weather again I began tackling this issue. I got the clutch off and now just have the shaft coming out of the engine (pics attached I hope).

From the look of things I'll need to take off that portion of the engine that's there where the shaft goes into the block? I assume the gasket is seated from the inside? That's what would make sense to me given oil pressures anyway.

Any suggestions/guidance here would be appreciated. If somebody has a part number that would also be awesome of course, otherwise I'll ping the John Deere people. I understand this model is older so I might have to substitute, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Thank you!

Steven in Colorado
Automotive tire Flash photography Camera accessory Machine tool Rim
Vehicle brake Locking hubs Automotive tire Machine tool Rim
Automotive tire Flash photography Camera accessory Machine tool Rim
Vehicle brake Locking hubs Automotive tire Machine tool Rim

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Most seals remove from the outside.

They won’t be pressurized from oil, but the crankcase can be pressurized by poor ring sealing and/or blocked crankcase vents.

Suggest you watch a few videos on how to remove seals. Getting them in correctly is important.

Before going too far. Make certain the shaft cannot be moved from side to side. No seal will seal a shaft that is wobbling around.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most seals remove from the outside.
Oh awesome! I had just assumed they were "pushed" from the inside. That hopefullymakes it a smidge easier.

They won’t be pressurized from oil, but the crankcase can be pressurized by poor ring sealing and/or blocked crankcase vents.

Suggest you watch a few videos on how to remove seals. Getting them in correctly is important.
Definitely will do. I only just (finally) used the clutch removal tool I'd gotten a couple of months ago to take a gander at it.

Before going too far. Make certain the shaft cannot be moved from side to side. No seal will seal a shaft that is wobbling around.
Fortunately it's solid as a rock.

Thank you very much!

Steven From Colorado

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: Ran by the local John Deere dealer and got a new seal ordered; should be here in a couple of days. Assuming that's the only issue (I'll be thankful if so) I'll hopefully be back up and running shortly.

I need to check the air filter yet; I live in a dusty place so it probably needs changing too.

Steven From Colorado

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks familiar.. :)

I just joined - and posted an intro... Mine is leaky too. Engine up on bench......
In retrospect mine was probably losing a bit of oil and I just didn't know it. Once I got the clutch off I found that the seal has two pieces "missing", kinda on either side. A casual inspection might lead one to think this is normal, until I got the new one just earlier today from the Deere folks....it's not.

I suspect the seal blew out when a wire for a light got caught into the clutch. I dragged it up the driveway just before winter and left it parked there until a week or so ago when I finally started taking a gander at it. That's when I (finally) pulled off the clutch and found the seal.

I need to take a look at the air filter; it's probably filthy too. I live up a gravel road in the foothills so it's not surprising.

Good luck! I hope this seal (and maybe the air filter) is all of it; we'll see. Update me when you find something too, okay?

Steven From Colorado

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine is all back together. The gasket on the cluch side cover was broken and allowing oil to blow out. Fairly hidden by the heat shrouding.

Replaced the gasket and the main seal. The old one was good - but IME it never pays to NOT replace seals when they are easy to get to when fixing something else.

Good luck to you too. Scrape as few as knuckles as possible... ;)

Took it for a spin. Sounds fine. No oil leaks. Mission accomplished.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine is all back together. The gasket on the cluch side cover was broken and allowing oil to blow out. Fairly hidden by the heat shrouding.

Replaced the gasket and the main seal. The old one was good - but IME it never pays to NOT replace seals when they are easy to get to when fixing something else.

Good luck to you too. Scrape as few as knuckles as possible... ;)

Took it for a spin. Sounds fine. No oil leaks. Mission accomplished.
SUCCESS!

I have my gasket in hand (well, it's out on the seat of the Gator) and I have the clutch off. I can clearly see a couple of pieces missing along the axle end of the thing. Sounds like it was behaving similarly to what yours was doing; oil coming out (in my case a fine spray) all over the inside of that compartment.

I have high hopes to be as successful as you! :)

Steven in Colorado

1 - 8 of 8 Posts