John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Gator with 65 hours, 415 miles. I was out riding it is the other day and it started smoking. I looked all over it several times. Long story short, I took it to my local dealer and they replaced the drive shaft that goes from the back to the front to drive the front wheels. The boot around the knuckle broke somehow, which caused it to loose all the greese after awhile of running the knuckle went out.

My question is has anyone else had this happen? Any other information would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its an 825i.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got done replacing one in a 825i S4. That was the first time the c/v joint failed. Most of the time it is the bearings holding the shaft that fail.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I do have interesting luck sometimes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to bump this. I need to vent.

But, I put four hours on my gator since it got fixed from what happened before. Would you believe the same exact thing happened again! Did I buy a lemon? The good thing is there's a 90 day parts warranty on the part anyway! It was 360 bucks!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Almost sounds like there is a alighnment issue on the drive shaft causing a bind. I would take it back to the dealer and get them to check into further.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Definitely sounds like an alignment issue

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the cv joint go bad in my front driveshaft as well.....sounded like a bunch of ball bearings in a coffee can for a few miles and the smoke pouring out was awful. The dealer replaced it under warranty and luckily it has had the same problem again.:)

I also broke the driver's front cv shaft....apparently I've got something against cv shafts.:p

·
Registered
250 Posts
Drive shaft carnage I have seen.. twice.. not so much. Alignment.. nope. All bearing carriers are bolted into frame. CV joints are meant to account for slight misalignment issues. Bad shaft or bearings, defect.. that would be my bet. IF the boot was intact and no objects punctured the boot causing the grease to spew out. But 4 hours... even bone dry should go longer. And the rest of the story??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cathy

we have a 825i and when it gets to operating temperature the picture of the book with the wrench light comes on, and stays on, does anyone have this same problem

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome to the forum Sunshine and Cathy!!!!!!

We bought a 550 S4, and its maiden voyage was a job in central Mississippi. The driveshaft had a welded or glued joint that came apart. The joint was in the shaft. They sent me a new one and we installed it at a compressor station and is still good to this day. The determination about the old shaft was material/manufacturing. I said it was built at quitting time on Friday.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Drive shaft carnage I have seen.. twice.. not so much. Alignment.. nope. All bearing carriers are bolted into frame. CV joints are meant to account for slight misalignment issues. Bad shaft or bearings, defect.. that would be my bet. IF the boot was intact and no objects punctured the boot causing the grease to spew out. But 4 hours... even bone dry should go longer. And the rest of the story??
Lol. Its still in the shop. But any who, I talked with the mechanic. He says that the actuator/celinoide the pulls it out of 4wd isn't pulling it out of 4wd completly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We've torn probably 4 or 5 boots on our 825i with 2 or 3 being on the front driveshaft and the others being the front axle shafts, we've let them go for weeks before finally cleaning the joint up, adding more grease, and putting a new boot on so I would think that running it dry wouldn't be your problem b/c they can take some major abuse! Did you notice any symptoms associated with the 4wd actuator? We've noticed that ours will "jump" into 4wd for a split second while spinning tires and if that's going to cause driveshaft problems it'd be nice to nip it in the bud.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got it back last weekend! The mechanics had the front end tore apart three different times. But they found that the cage rollers got scared up somehow, which wasn't letting them engage and disengage properly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts