John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2019 TX model 4x2 Gator in November 2019. In 2019, the TX and the TS were (are?) the low-end gas-powered Gators. The TX is the "upgraded" TS model with a bigger bed and Kawa V-Twin instead of the Kawa single cylinder. I was replacing my old single-cylinder Trail Gator but have so far been underwhelmed with my new TX. I was thinking it would be a great replacement, but have two complaints. Are there any TX owners that could verify whether my problems are unique to this machine or whether they are common to the TX?

1. Rear shock squeaks. In fact, it quacks like a duck whenever I go over a bump. Dealer says they've seen noisy shock problems with other Gators and he's willing to replace them under warranty, so I'm surprised, but not overly concerned.

2. (This is the big issue.) From a standstill, it is extremely difficult to begin moving (forward or reverse) without a pronounced "jerk", so much as to about give you whiplash. The engine revs very quickly and the clutch engages, but it is difficult to tell if the problem is the engine rev or the clutch engagement. The dealer worked on it - cleaned/adjusted carburetor, adjusted spring on accelerator pedal, but no improvement. He suggested that the drive belt might need some "breaking in" so I gave it some time, but there's been no improvement. Machine now has about 100 hours on it. It is back at the dealer and he says he will try adjusting springs on the clutch and going over the carb adjustments again, but his thinking is that it is performing as designed. He says JD had complaints about sluggish take-off on these low-end gators, so they have designed in some "quicker acceleration". What it is doing, however, makes it difficult to control slow-speed maneuvers, like pulling into my garage or backing up to mulch piles without overshooting. I test drove a TS model (the single-cylinder version) and an HPX (entirely different model, I know, but closest thing to the TX that dealer had on the yard.) Both of these models were very smooth and predictable when starting movement from idle - like I'd like to see on my TX.

Dealer seems to want me to be happy and gives me the impression that they might consider replacing the machine if all efforts fail, but if what I'm seeing is characteristic of the TX model, I wouldn't be happy with that either. Without test driving another TX, I can't tell.

Are there any TX owners who can give me a performance report on their machines?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 TX , with just over 200 hours. It will jerk the first time I put it in gear after start up , but then after
operating for awhile it operates smoothly. I take it to show/swap meets with a lot of stop and go action with no problem.

I have found that the jerk on the first engagement can be softened by revving the engine 2 or 3 times in neutral prior
to putting it in gear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts