John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 835r and the rear shocks are making noise. I originally took it back to the dealer and after keeping it a couple days they said there was nothing they could do and the noise was the gas shocks. Lately it seems to be getting louder or my patients has got shorter. Any idea on how to quiet them up. It seems to be coming from the adjustment bushing. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2019 835r and the rear shocks are making noise. I originally took it back to the dealer and after keeping it a couple days they said there was nothing they could do and the noise was the gas shocks. Lately it seems to be getting louder or my patients has got shorter. Any idea on how to quiet them up. It seems to be coming from the adjustment bushing. Thanks
I have the same noise, but it's seems like it's coming from the front. Dealer said it's the shocks. Sort of disappointed.

·
Registered
2021 XUV835R
33 Posts
I have a 2021 835R and from new it made the same noise the gas shocks on rear very disappointed they make noise with the min bump or drive across pasture. Sucks and annoying I think John Deere should have to find a solution and fix for free. For $30,000 my gator should not be making noise and squeaking. But they did nothing said it normal and they can’t fix it!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
It’s amazing how they claim it’s normal for everything to avoid warranty expense. If the customer accepts this than I guess they got it right.

I had sway bar bushing that made noise. Put a small amount of grease between bar and bushing resolved the problem.

Reactions: Dave Jr

·
Administrator
3,772 Posts
I seem to recall the bushings were the culprits, others may have replaced with a HDPE material ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2021 835R and from new it made the same noise the gas shocks on rear very disappointed they make noise with the min bump or drive across pasture. Sucks and annoying I think John Deere should have to find a solution and fix for free. For $30,000 my gator should not be making noise and squeaking. But they did nothing said it normal and they can’t fix it!
Do you also get noise from the front shocks? Seems like most of my squeaking is from the front.

·
Registered
2021 XUV835R
33 Posts
Do you also get noise from the front shocks? Seems like most of my squeaking is from the front.
No noise from front just the rear. It sounds like it the shock where the gas whatever you call it when you compress it and release it bumps in pasture or if you just jump up down on back bumper

·
Registered
2021 XUV835R
33 Posts
No noise from front just the rear. It sounds like it the shock where the gas whatever you call it when you compress it and release it bumps in pasture or if you just jump up down on back bumper
R model comes with heavy duty shocks but if I knew they was gonna squeak or make noise I would want them odds of me haul bunch weight in bed probably won’t happen. Not sure what I have to do to make them fix it

·
Registered
6 Posts
R model comes with heavy duty shocks but if I knew they was gonna squeak or make noise I would want them odds of me haul bunch weight in bed probably won’t happen. Not sure what I have to do to make them fix it
I'd be willing to install new shocks, but I can't find anywhere that sells them.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Only JD sells them like nearly everything else on your machine.
Did you try greasing the bushings?

·
Administrator
3,772 Posts
I'd be willing to install new shocks, but I can't find anywhere that sells them.
I recall either Gabriel or Monroe manufacture the shocks for Deere. I believe you should be able to take center measurements on the shocks while on the Gator, then remove and take the shocks to your friendly auto parts store for comparison.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recall either Gabriel or Monroe manufacture the shocks for Deere. I believe you should be able to take center measurements on the shocks while on the Gator, then remove and take the shocks to your friendly auto parts store for comparison.
That's what I was planning on doing. There's a shock out there somewhere that's the same. Hopefully it takes care of the noise though...

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Assuming these shocks have the integrated springs wouldn't it be worth disassembling and applying a thin coat of grease to the possible squeak areas? Mounting bushings, mounting bolt, spring perch, etc.. Except for the main sealing rod/seal area and the internal piston/valve a replacement shock may not resolve the issue. It's also possible this might be coming from a suspension bushing and a replacement shock is not going to resolve the issue.

There is more to finding a shock that physically fits the mounting points as the valving may be all wrong.

If the vehicle is under warranty or exhibited the issue during the warranty period, I'd be contacting JD for resolution. The unintelligent answer "they all do it" or "it's normal" doesn't make it right. No engineer designs something, so that it makes an audible noise when it is not critical to function. JD should own the problem.

Good luck in resolving your issue in an economical and efficient manner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If the vehicle is under warranty or exhibited the issue during the warranty period, I'd be contacting JD for resolution. The unintelligent answer "they all do it" or "it's normal" doesn't make it right. No engineer designs something, so that it makes an audible noise when it is not critical to function. JD should own the problem.

Good luck in resolving your issue in an economical and efficient manner.
Great response..I appreciate it. I took mine back twice. They did replace the front shocks because of some type of JD bulletin, but didn't help the squeaking. I took it back a week or so later and they indicated that the noise was normal. After that, I did contact John Deere and they were absolutely no help. The rep told me to "try a different dealer". You're correct that something wouldn't be engineered to make noise. I guess I'm at a dead end with Deere.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Why not take it to another dealer?

Judging by some of the responses posted here, it might be worth the hassle.

Unfortunately this type of dealer response has become the norm or at least it seems to be trending this way. I'd be hard pressed to consider JD in any future purchases. Any time a company starts running their parts department as a profit center and tasked to minimize warranty expense by denial and not fixing the problem it becomes a mess for the customer.

Suspension noises should not be an issue if they followed some of the automotive standards that are well known and practiced.

Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why not take it to another dealer?

Judging by some of the responses posted here, it might be worth the hassle.

Unfortunately this type of dealer response has become the norm or at least it seems to be trending this way. I'd be hard pressed to consider JD in any future purchases. Any time a company starts running their parts department as a profit center and tasked to minimize warranty expense by denial and not fixing the problem it becomes a mess for the customer.

Suspension noises should not be an issue if they followed some of the automotive standards that are well known and practiced.

Good luck
100% correct...and I will try another dealer. It's too bad that this dealer lost my business. I've bought 2 tractors, a SXS and a garden lawn mower from them in the past few years. BUT, the dealer chain just got bought by a big conglomerate corporation. This could be good or could be bad.

·
Registered
2021 XUV835R
33 Posts
The bolts are over tighten at factory, causing noise.
No I think it the shock itself when you push down on the bed it sounds like it the gas strut inside shock making the noise I have take to shop soon because there a pop noise in front end on driver side now so I gonna mention the rear noise again see what they tell me

·
Registered
1 Posts
No I think it the shock itself when you push down on the bed it sounds like it the gas strut inside shock making the noise I have take to shop soon because there a pop noise in front end on driver side now so I gonna mention the rear noise again see what they tell me
I had this same problem with my 835R took it back to the dealer and they replaced the driver side rear strut under warranty. Now the passenger rear is doing the same thing. Taking it back to be replaced under the extended warranty as well. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts