John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have a 2010 Gator V-Twin Kawasaki gas that currently has a Napa 8229N battery. I purchased this battery in October of 2018 and has worked well until the recent cold weather. The battery reads now "replace" under a load tester. This gator does have a electric spray tank in the back for spot spraying during the summer which the gator is usually at idle for. I checked the charging system and the battery does charge when the engine is operating. The cranking amps is 370 and 300 for this particular battery. I have thought about replacing this battery with a Napa 8227N with cranking amps of 430 350 which is about the same size in dimensions. I am considering adding a winch to this gator this winter as well.

Do any of you have any other recommendations on a particular battery?
What is the factory battery cranking amps?

Thanks
Sean

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
It's a garden tractor battery so there are no 7 year guarantee batteries out there. You could go with a lithium iron job which would last 10 years and have a built in emergency start battery, but once you see the price, you'll decide you can live with the lead acid solution.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Greetings,

I have a 2010 Gator V-Twin Kawasaki gas that currently has a Napa 8229N battery. I purchased this battery in October of 2018 and has worked well until the recent cold weather. The battery reads now "replace" under a load tester. This gator does have a electric spray tank in the back for spot spraying during the summer which the gator is usually at idle for. I checked the charging system and the battery does charge when the engine is operating. The cranking amps is 370 and 300 for this particular battery. I have thought about replacing this battery with a Napa 8227N with cranking amps of 430 350 which is about the same size in dimensions. I am considering adding a winch to this gator this winter as well.

Do any of you have any other recommendations on a particular battery?
What is the factory battery cranking amps?

Thanks
Sean
I put an Interstate Group 51 in mine and spins it nicely. You can get them with posts reversed if that works for your application !! So far, it's been great. It's the same one that it's my Honda CR-V and both have zero starting problems. Craig

·
Registered
866 Posts
If you plan on running a winch, you better access your electrical to see if it is going to be up to the task. You need to balance alternator output and battery reserve capacity against the demands of the winch (load and run length).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts