John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shift lever on my 825i just snapped off. Need to replace ASAP, because I plow my entire neighborhood with it and a storm is coming in!

Assuming I approach from above, removing all the trim, etc, in the way. Someone please confirm.

Also, I've noticed a few questions about how to position the torsion spring on the new lever. If anyone knows how to do this, I would very much appreciate some tips.

Thanks!

Now, off to remove the trim.

·
Super Moderator
3,028 Posts
The shift lever on my 825i just snapped off. Need to replace ASAP, because I plow my entire neighborhood with it and a storm is coming in!

Assuming I approach from above, removing all the trim, etc, in the way. Someone please confirm.

Also, I've noticed a few questions about how to position the torsion spring on the new lever. If anyone knows how to do this, I would very much appreciate some tips.

Thanks!

Now, off to remove the trim.

Something happened to cause this failure.

The culprit is likely a sticking primary which should be addressed with the replacement of the shift lever, otherwise you will likely have additional shift lever failures.

JD Clutch Doc can help you with your sticky primary clutch. Contact them at [email protected] for more information.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Something happened to cause this failure.

The culprit is likely a sticking primary which should be addressed with the replacement of the shift lever, otherwise you will likely have additional shift lever failures.

JD Clutch Doc can help you with your sticky primary clutch. Contact them at [email protected] for more information.
Thanks for the input. I've sent an email to the address you provided. Much appreciated!

Was able to find a new shift lever locally (well, 100 mile round trip, which we consider "local"). Will install today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey new member here with same problem. Shifter snapped off plowing snow. Can shift manually without much effort. Looks like the cable might be frozen up. Can’t find any help on how to replace the entire mechanism shifter, cable plus related parts and how to orient the torsion spring. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
3,028 Posts
Hey new member here with same problem. Shifter snapped off plowing snow. Can shift manually without much effort. Looks like the cable might be frozen up. Can’t find any help on how to replace the entire mechanism shifter, cable plus related parts and how to orient the torsion spring. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a screenshot from the Technical Manual, I’m not sure if this will help?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Installing the shift lever turned out to be straight forward. A bit tight for working space, especially for an old man, but easy enough conceptually.

1. Remove center console cover(s) as needed to access from above.
2. Remove retaining ring (e-clip) washer from lower (broken) end of shift lever.
3. Slide out the broken end of shift lever.
4. Position the torsion spring. I found it quite easy to figure this out. Just keep in mind that the purpose of the spring is to pull the shift lever to the right. The rest becomes apparent.
5. Slide the new shift lever in, pulling the end of the spring to the left (and/or turning the lever to the right) to hook the spring around around the lever shaft.
6. Put the retaining ring washer back on.
7. Reinstall the console covers.
8. Move the shift lever knob from the broken lever to the new one.

As for the cable, can't help you there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anybody out there willing to snap a picture of an installed torsion spring on the gear shifter to help me out? Maybe it is intuitively obvious but thought a picture would help!

I am sending the clutch into the Clutch Doctor for a rebuild and performance pack later this month. Hopefully that will solve the root problem which is hard shifting that lead to the fatigue on the gear shift and in extreme cold it snapped.

Gotta love Idaho winters!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I snapped mine off last year. Afterward, I realized while cold, it would high idle for a little bit. Now, I let the tach go down under 1,100 to put in gear. I was forcing it in gear at too high RPM.Z

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello JimIdaho. Did anyone ever send you a picture of the correct way a torsion should look installed? My replacement lever came in today from greenpartstore and I too am unsure how to install the spring.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Lift the cover up over the differential lock lever. The spring on the shift lever should hook in around the shift lever shaft and the other end hook down at the lower left side of bracket so when you rotate the shift lever from the position of laying to the right to the vertical position the spring will have tension .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts