John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the mountains trail riding, upto 11,000' altitude, thought it might have something to do with it, but giving it gas has plenty of power.

However, in reverse it hesitates, has no power to go up a small incline and will likely stall out. I've noticed the exhaust smells odd - wondering if it's running too rich or too lean? Idle is also rough when I slow down, but it will norm out after 10-15 seconds.

I checked the oil level and radiator, everything seems fine.
I'm running 88 octane fuel with no ethanol (100% gasoline)

Any ideas why it's rough at idle (this is after it been run quite a bit, not a cold engine), and why reverse acting so weird (yes, it's fully in gear)?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Its running rough because the fuel pressure regulator failed. The problem really manifests itself when in reverse for some reason. I had 3 go out on my machine before I gave up and traded it.
I had initially thought it was water related because it seemed worse after crossing 12" of water but it actually had nothing to do with the problem.
On the last replacement (4 Rivers Equipment in Cheyenne) the service manager told me JD has narrowed the problem to those machines operated above 7000 feet elevation. For whatever reason the fuel pressure regulator is wiped out in short order when operated up high.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info,Wyoming. Let me ask if you think this is still the case with this info: when I got home, which is about 4,000', I ran it in reverse for a while, as in a straight line distance down a path - no problem for about 100 meters and then it got really jerky - surging then stalling, surging and stalling. Does this sound like the same issue? It was climbing steep mountain paths with no problems, as long as I was on the gas. Idle did seem a little rough and labored for about 10-15 seconds and would then even out.

Is the fuel pressure regulator a part I could replace on my own or would I have to disassemble the entire cab to get to it (it's out of warranty so I want to do it as cheap as possibles)?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well I do know for a fact that you can only go so fast or hit a certain rpm mark in reverse and it does the same thing like when we max out are top speed with the rev limiter at 7200 and I think the speed I hit in reverse was like 15mph and the rev limiter started sputtering me out

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have to laugh at myself.

I viewed this thread via the Active Topics button upon logging in, rather than taking the time to go through all the sub forums. For that reason I did not notice that the thread was posted in the 850i section.:eek:

Now that I know that it is an injected engine, this problem sounds pretty strange. With a carburetor, different angles can do strange things, but with injection, you should be able to run it upside down if you had a full tank. Come to think of it, was the tank near empty?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes - I do believe it is the fuel pressure regulator. I'm actually 100% sure of it. You are experiencing the exact same issues I did. As mentioned earlier by another member these machines are REV limited so you will hit the limiter in reverse but it should not stall out and I proved this as it would not act this way immediately after a new FPR was installed.
On the last failure I could get it into H and it would move along quite happily but the exhaust was glowing and smelled funny as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts