John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Since the weather here in Vermont has been so wet as of late, I decided to do some inside work on the 550 seating. While the stock bench seat is actually quite comfortable it lacks the lower lumbar support offered by bucket seats, and also the overall performance feel I'm looking for. I chose to stay with the buckets offered by Deere rather than one of the many vinyl performance seats offered after-market for a couple of reasons. First I want the "Ridge Runner" to look more or less "Factory", as though Deere would have taken the 550 another step toward performance, and there is also the factor of "fit". Anyone having ever experienced the "stuck chair syndrome" after attending an elementary school parent teacher conference, only to rise being followed with the offending under sized seating will attest to the need for a proper seat "fit". After-market "Racing" buckets tend to be on the tight side, with their design intended to enclose the average occupant with side bolsters, and such. The Deere buckets tend to fit well even for the hearty-er of us. The buckets were mounted on Deere brackets after purchasing a second set that match the ones of the bench. Some minor slotting of the brackets to match the threaded seat inserts, and a bit of trimming the plastic fairing was all that was needed. The greatest amount of work was in removing most of the plastic fairings surrounding the seating to remove the bench back frame. The overall look is indeed "factory", and I'm sure buckets for the 550 will be offered by Deere eventually. Adjustable headrests are in the works. mountaungoat

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
As always, nice work, Mountaingoat! I'm assuming those are the same as the stock buckets from the 825i/855D?

Thanks!

- Steve in CO

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bucket Seats

Thanks Steve :D, and yes I believe they are the same ones as used on the 825i/855D. mountaingoat

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mountaingoat,

thanks for posting the pictures of the bucket seats.

do you need to purchase the mounting hardware, or can you take the hinges off the bench seat and use them on the bucket seats?

I guess the real question is, Do I need to purchase parts other than the seat?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi sidebite. I used the same strap hinge and plastic bushing as you see on your bench. It is Part# M161140. You'll need two which are ridiculously priced around $90.00 bucks for the pair! This was before the RSX which uses a plate instead of a strap, check on that at the dealer, perhaps it is cheaper. You may have to trim a bit on the seat fairing platform for the seat to fold. If you have the seats, great, they are Part# AM138194 at around $177.00 each. I don't recommend purchasing on e-bay as they appear to be seconds with any number of imperfections! Trust me on this, buyer beware! Good Luck, and let us know how you make out! mountaingoat

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the fast reply mountaingoat.

Is it possible to use the strap hinge and bushing that is on the bench seat with new bucket seats??

The dealer quoted me a price using the new plates (I think) of $500. That was for new hardware and 2 seats. I was just hoping to do it a little cheaper.

thank again

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi sidebite.Yes, I mentioned a pair of brackets at $90, and you would also need to use the pair from your bench. Quick math figures it all around $444. One note here, when bolted to these brackets, the buckets will sit a couple inches closer, not a problem if your not much over 6'.They will fold forward nicely to expose the fuel tank, and battery after the slight trimming of the seat fairing I mentioned. Check out my other postings on the "Ridge Runner" for more on modifications, and equipment for the "550". Oh, also be sure to buy the proper bolts to match the buckets, as Deere has been known to use both SAE, and Metric threaded inserts on the seats over the years. Don't want to cross thread them! mountaingoat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts