John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All, when I ordered my 550 I chose to also add the accessory overhead switch box, as I knew I would be running a light bar. The harness was the usual good quality wiring harness, however the switch box was of paper thin plastic, and gave with the least bit of pressure. I decided to replace it with a better unit, and with the addition of some courtesy lighting. I purchased an electronics "Project Box" in finned aluminum, with black matt finish. It was $12.95 + shipping on eBay. The switches are Gator items by Eaton, which I had on hand. The lights were purchased on-line at "SuperbrightLeds" ( license plate lights)for $5.95 each + shipping. The overall measurements are 4"x 6"x 2". The lights are bright , and light up the switches, and the dash! Have a Great "4th of July"! mountaingoat.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
You got one heck of a good looking ride! Custom steering wheel, shift knobs, lights, etc... everything looks great and I'm sure you're enjoying the "dome light" too!:cool::cool::cool:

That original switch box looks exactly like the ones used on 825i's as well. Very flimsy. I ordered and installed all (6)overhead lights myself. I used the John Deere kits and lights but opted to not use their overhead switch bank either and simply ran the wires direct into the dash switch bank...

One thing I would note is that I did use a larger guage wire than was included in the light and switch bank kits during my install.

Keep the pics coming!!!
--DG

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DG, I like the overhead position, but just couldn't deal with something that felt like my fingers were going to pass through! I'm getting things back now from the powder coaters so I'm posting the pic's as I install them. mountaingoat

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi, DTIgator350. The wiring for my switch box is a Deere option. I had my dealer install it along with other options I ordered. It came with the plastic box and one switch. The overhead switch harness is a Pre-wired unit that is run through the cage, and down out the bottom of the passenger side rear tube. There it snaps into the main wiring harness. It has an in-line fuse at that location. I chose to bite the bullet, and pay JD prices, as the harness is of excellent quality, containing all connectors, and fusing needed. The single fuse is enough for the three Hella halogens on the roof (one switch) and also the LED courtesy lights (second switch). mountaingoat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help! I want to add LED Lights

I just bought a 825i Gator. I want to add LED lights on top. I did get the OPS Light Kit Switch Bank. What is the best way to install some LED lights on top?

·
Registered
117 Posts
What did you use to cut switch holes in the box? I am prepping an overhead stereo console that I will add a switch bank to as well. I will use some scrap sheet stainless steel for the switch bank face plate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts