John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one had this issue? I have a 2013 825i with about 400 hours, and at start up in the morning it starts right up but the idle really fluctuates quite a bit until after about 2-4 minutes of idling. It almost get low enough on that it sounds like its going to die, but it has not yet. It just seems to be getting worse? Possible bad gas? I only run 91, with no ethanol according to the pump at Fleet farm.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have a 2012 with 1235 miles on it..It does the same thing at times..Only when its real cold which leaves me to believe..its either a coolant temp sensor or air temp sensor...I just rev the throttle a bit and its done!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
When our 620i's here at work do that, its usually a fuel pump, but I know it is different than the 825i.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its going in on Wednesday to find out what seems to be the problem, now watch it will run perfect!! Its still under warranty so all should be good..

·
Registered
904 Posts
Keep us updated. That is my luck, will work fine, then I get it back and it starts again. LOL!!!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
That would be good to know what it is..Mine is out of warrantee. so I am doing my own work to my Gator

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It went in on Wednesday and I have not heard yet, but I will most definitely post what the John Deere dealer tells me. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I finally got my Gator back.. and it works like it did when I bought it. The solution was new spark plugs. How could something so simply cause a rough idle only when its started!!! one only knows.

·
Registered
242 Posts
No.. it could not be that easy...A spark Plug does not care if Its cold or hot..a spark plug Just delivers a Spark...With such low hours ..the plugs on mine are still clean..They did something else and are not telling you...I kinda think an ECM reflash

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right Fred. They had to do more then just plugs. I have a feeling with the multply times this has been in, that they don't care to see it again. But until the warranty is up, any little thing goes wrong, they will get it back. Oh they did do more.. I sent it in all cleaned up and they returned it full of mud from the gravel road I live on.. Not what I call good customer service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
still running OK?

Right Fred. They had to do more then just plugs. I have a feeling with the multply times this has been in, that they don't care to see it again.
Any update on how it's running since the new plugs? Have your old issues re-appeared. My 620i is doing the same thing, but I suspect a fuel pump issue because it's making the whining noise. Mine starts rough and runs rough for about 1-2 minutes until it warms up. Plugs are a delightful amber color so it's not running rich. It seems to 'lean out' and tries to die just after start up if the throttle body even cracks open slightly, leading me to think mine is a fuel pump/fuel pressure issue.

Anyway, would love to hear how yours is running lately...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it's been so, so. Mostly it is not prevident, but some starts it does have a little flucation in the idle yet. It is only on the first start of the day. It does not seem perfect, weather I can blame it on the gas, or like others have posted fuel pump problems, time will tell if it comes back again. I will keep this post up to date if I have more issues. I have tell October until the warranty ends.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello - brand new to the forum but wanted to reply to your 825 rough idle issue. Our issue was that the engine would idle slightly low (940-960 rpm) and sort of sputter. When the throttle was depressed, the engine would struggle and cough until it reached 4000 rpm with no load. After roughly a minute. The idle would increase and become steady. The machine would then run ok but lack some power. Plugs were ashy, slightly grey, indicating a lean condition. No diagnostic light would flash. I fixed the issue by testing the fuel system and ultimately replacing the fuel pump. To test fuel pressure, install a mechanical gauge after the grey inline filter. JD spec fuel pressure is 40-50 psi. Pressure should build quickly when the key is turned to the 'on' (not run) position. Our machine was running (albeit roughly) on 10 psi! There is no logic in the ECM to monitor fuel pressure; the ECM just says "ok, it should be 40-50 psi" and I believe it uses info from the O2 sensor to 'fine tune' fuel delivery. This would explain why the idle condition stabilized after the ECM had an adequate fuel map, but please understand this is speculation on my part.
The issue may not be a fuel pump issue. It may also be either a clogged filter on initial pickup filter (under the pump) or the fuel regulator, which is located above the fuel pump. The fuel regulator also has a screen. Ours was very clogged. The fuel reg can be removed by removing the hair pin from the mounting assembly and I cleaned the basket with carb cleaner and let it dry. Anyway, our issue was a worn out fuel pump. Again, no code because no logic in the ECM to monitor fuel pressure.

I've found the forum to be very handy; we have 4 gators to maintain out here. Wanted to contribute our experience for the good of the group. Hope this helped.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts