John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you mount lights on the roof (I have a 825i), how do you route the wiring?

I don't think I want to just tape it to the ROPS. What are the alternatives?

·
Registered
483 Posts
The John Deere way is to put the wires in convoluted tubing and use zip ties to hold to OPS.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Easiest way is to create your own switch bank on the ROPS and just run a power and ground up thru the rops.
Are there any existing openings in the ROPS near the top? I didn't see any, and I couldn't feel any. I would prefer not to drill the tubing, but I'm not dead set against it.

I have some very wide black electrical tape which would hide the wiring very well, but I was hoping for something a little more elegant.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The John Deere way is to put the wires in convoluted tubing and use zip ties to hold to OPS.
I can understand why JD's lawyers wouldn't want to compromise their OPS. ;)

I considered split wire loom and zip ties, but I thought it might just create another snag point, and it wouldn't look very good.

Thanks for the idea, though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I used black electrical cord which doesn't look as bad as plain wire and it also adds an extra layer of protection.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used black electrical cord which doesn't look as bad as plain wire and it also adds an extra layer of protection.
I was planning to use some black 16 ga "lamp cord" to each light, bringing the ground back to a central termination point. That would be six total 16 ga wires to route between the three lights and two switches, which would get pretty fugly if it wasn't well secured and partially hidden.

If I can use the openings in the OPS that DeereSales101 mentioned, then I can both protect and conceal the wiring, perhaps with a little room left over for speaker wires!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I ran all my power wires thru the roll cage with no problem. Still have room for more.

·
Registered
709 Posts
The RSX roll bar is much easier to run wires thru cause the tubes are open on both ends of the roll bar.

On the 825i's the front is where it's bolted down, so your only option is run wires to the back...that's why i recommended making a switch bank for all the lights and just run a power and ground up the tube.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Good Idea DeereSales101, I figured that was a good idea on any of them. I did not know that about the 825i's roll cage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The RSX roll bar is much easier to run wires thru cause the tubes are open on both ends of the roll bar.

On the 825i's the front is where it's bolted down, so your only option is run wires to the back...that's why i recommended making a switch bank for all the lights and just run a power and ground up the tube.
That probably is the best way to go. If I provide enough capacity, I can tap that circuit for an audio system, too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If I remember tonight I will take some pictures of what I did for my lights and get back to you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts