John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

New to the forum here. I have a 2013 RSX 850i Sport edition here in New Glasgow, NS, Canada.

Bike has about 900 miles on it and the first CVT belt went on it. Never changed one on a side by side before, I am wondering if anybody has a good link to a DIY video or post for belt replacement?

I did some searching on here but didn't find anything.

Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have never worked on that machine but I think simply getting to the belt and putting everything back on will be the bulk of the job. Once you can get your hands on the belt it's a pretty simple matter to pull it up onto the side of the driven pulley then turn it so the belt walks up onto and eventually over the pulley/clutch flange.

I think your clutches are up under the seat in front of the engine (I have a 550 so I'm mostly guessing about your 850). I'd start by removing the seat and see if that gives you enough access. On mine I find a good selection of 1/4" socket extensions and a universal joint make removing the drive belt/clutch cover easier. If you need to start pulling body panels a small cordless drill with a Torx bit can make things go a lot faster.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Dane gave a good write up. I would add two things though:

First of all, I think you will find that most of the work will be simply getting the clutch cover off and back on. Slipping the belt in place will be quick and simple as Dane described.

The other thing I would like to suggest is getting a quality belt. I have read that with some of the aftermarket belts they are not the proper width. The clutch is shimmed for a particular width belt and an incorrect width would cause lots of headaches. A few dollars extra for a genuine JD belt might be well spent insurance money.

I have discovered over the years that parts that are readily available in the aftermarket, such as belts, hoses, spark plugs, bearings, etc., are priced competitively under the green and yellow sign. Parts that are SPECIFIC to your green and yellow machine, difficult to find elsewhere, they will rake you over the coals when it comes to their prices.

My $0.02,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts